Unfortunate Adjustments

You sat outside the door of the prefect's bathroom

You sat outside the door of the prefect's bathroom. Fumbling with a bracelet on your left hand, you tried to keep yourself distracted so you wouldn't be too bored. It had been nearly 20 minutes and your best friend hadn't emerged from the bathroom yet.

A few minutes later Cedric Diggory burst out of the door. He looked left and right for you. Wet hair laid clinging to his forehead, his clothes were tight against his body because he hadn't waited to dry off before putting them on, and in his hand sat the giant golden egg from the first task.

"I was right" he blurted excitedly. The smile on his face spread from cheek to cheek.

Frantically standing up you asked, "Well what happened?"

The two of you started walking down the corridors to the common room as he spoke, "Well I got in the bath and opened the egg. All it did was scream but when I went to cover my ears I knocked it into the water."

You gave him a confused look.

"Once the egg was under water, it didn't scream. It's almost like it was singing."

Anxious and excited to know more you said, "Well what did it say! You're holding out on me Diggs just spit it out already!"

He pulled out a damp piece of parchment out of his pocket. I don't know how he even read it, it was soggy in his hands in the ink was smeared everywhere.

"Come seek us where our voices sound, We cannot sing above the ground,

And while you're searching ponder this; We've taken what you'll sorely miss,

An hour long you'll have to look, And to recover what we took,

But past an hour, the prospect's black, Too late, it's gone, it won't come back."

"So it's gonna be like a scavenger hunt?" you questioned laughing.

"I'm not sure about what the task is actually going to be. But I'm pretty sure since the egg needed water to work properly and these 'voices' don't sound above ground, that it's going to involve us going underwater..." he trailed off sounding a bit nervous.

"Oh don't tell me that I can hear fear in your voice? Not THE Cedric Diggory: Hogwarts' most eligible bachelor and picture perfect student on the up and up? It can't be!" you gushed theatrically.

He looked at you shaking his head and laughing.

"Come on," you said slightly shoving his damp body, "If you can dance with Cho in front of the entire school, I think you can handle a little swim."

He continued laughing. "I'm not scared of actually doing it, I'm just nervous because I don't really know what the whole task entails."

"I'm sure you'll be great. You figured out the clue pretty early and it seems like you decoded most of it already. From the sound of it you have to go on a magical underwater scavenger hunt to find singing mermaids who have something of yours."