Chapter 6

Priscah's  POV
       I bid goodbye to Pam and quickly rush out, I was running late. I quickly dash to the bus stand, heading straight for the cafe. The lodge we were staying was quite some distance to the cafe. I get there and quickly changed into my uniform.
       Throughout the day, I had this weird feeling like I was being watched. I had this sudden shivers down my spine. Weirdly tho, I never found anything or anyone lurking.

     Down the street, the tail watched her every move waiting for the others to get there.

       Later that day, Alessandro drove close to the cafe and watched his angel while she worked. Oh, how he wanted to put a bullet in the heads and of those idiots that flirted with her.

      A white van cruised slowly down the street. The occupants glanced into the cafe. Then the van rolled out. It parked at a secluded spot and waited.

Priscah's POV contd.
      My shift ended really late that night. By the time I left the cafe heading to the bus station trying to catch the bus, it was already past ten pm.
        I locked the cafe and hurried out. I looked at my phone. Ten thirty pm, the time indicated. If I took the main road, I wasn't going to meet up with the last bus which was leaving by eleven pm.
      I decided to take the nearby shortcut, which just happened to be an alleyway. It was only going to take me twenty minutes at most. I was going to be there in time to catch the bus.
      I hurried along quickly. Just as I entered the alley, I got that nagging feeling again. I got alerted.
      You see, the city I stayed in back home was predominantly know for its sexual harassment among others. As a woman, you couldn't go out to the market without being touched indecently more than once. You also had to deal with the cat calling.
     Someone has even slapped my butt once publicly at the bus top while I was waiting to board a tricycle, and people around just laughed. It was so rampant and had become like a norm. If you complained, they just asked what the lady was wearing.
      Whether it was rape or sexual assault, it was always the woman's fault. That was why I took up learning self defense and boy, was I good at it.
        So on entering the alley, I immediately knew something wasn't right. It was dimly lit, I saw a Jeep parked to the left, the windows were tinted so I couldn't see if it was occupied. Crossing to the other side, I hurried along, half walking, half running.
      As I was about passing the vehicle, the doors opened and three hefty men dressed in all black with mask alighted, I didn't even think twice before I sprinted off.
       I hadn't gone a stone through when I felt a hand roughly drag me. I stumbled, almost falling. I regained my balance quickly the spun around and delivered a powerful punch to the jaw of my attacker.
    Catching him by surprise, he immediately let's go of my arm. But before I could take off again, one of them tackled my to the floor and held me there.
     I struggled for my life and we wrestled for a bit. In the process his mask came off.
      I couldn't see his face in the dark, but those eyes that stared back at me where lifeless.
     I spat in them and hurled myself up to take off again when a hand grabs my hair and begins dragging me roughly with it to the parked vehicle.
       Pain shoots through my scalp. I struggle, grabbing his hands to reduce the impact of his hands. He stops, let's go of my hair and squats down to my eye level. He then smacks me hard across the face. I reel back from the force and feel my cheek sting badly.
      Tears swells up in my eyes, he goes to hit me again, I flinch, putting my hands up as a shield to block the blow or lessen the impact.
   He stops and grabs my hands using them to to drag me this time around.
    I bit down hard on his hands, he lets out a yelp. I take off and run as fast as I could. I ran for my life. I hear them closing in on me. I could see the end of the tunnel.
     "Just a little bit more, just a little bit more Priscah," I tell myself as I feel my chest about to explode.
     I exit the alley and enter the main road. The bus top was just a stone through.
   I could see bus parked and people boarding it. The bus top was flooded with lights I noted with relief.
I hear my attackers slow down a few steps away. I hasten up.
    Just then, a white van speeds by and pulls up in front of me, blocking my view of the bus stop.
      My heart skips a beat. Just then, the door of the van opens and two heavily tattooed Italian jumps out.
     I look back at the guys that were chasing me. They had halted at a distance.
    Just then something hard hits my hear, i stagger. I felt the warm liquid trail down my cheek, I touch it and bring it to my already blurry view, blood, it was blood.
   Then everything went dark.

Two updates at once?  Wow, who am I? Lol
Don't mind me. This chapter is pretty short. I'm trying to reduce the length of my chapter.
  On a more serious note, when I wrote about the sexual harassment in these chapter, it was actually from my personal real life experience. If you grew up in Lagos like me, you would understand first hand what I'm talking about. It's a pity we still live in a predominantly misogynistic time. I just wanted to shed light on this and rant little lol.