Chapter 19

I entered the car and I struggled to keep the tears in check. I couldn't believe my ears.
      How did I get so deep into this? I wondered. What was meant to be a vacation was slowly turning into a nightmare.
      I feel the driver's eyes on me. There was only one person I could talk to that would understand.
      I picked up my phone and dialed his number.
      After two rings, he answered. “Hey.” I said in a small voice.
      “Hey you.” he answered. “I didn't think you were going to answer the call.” I told him honestly. “Why? Are you okay?” he asked sensing the strain in my voice. “Where are you?” he added.
      “I'm heading to this bar to get a drink.” I replied. “Send me the address and I'll be there in fifteen minutes.” he said.
      True enough, he was here in fifteen minutes. I got up and hugged him. “So tell me what happened that has you day drinking?”he asked.
      “Have a drink first.” I said. “No, I'm driving.” he replied. “Then I would just drink for both of us.” I said.
      Four tequila shots later, “You were right, I could lie to myself all day but the truth is I have feelings for him.” I felt the tears pouring. “Or maybe it's Stockholm syndrome?” I asked him hopefully. He didn't say anything.
            “The worst part is I am so confused, like what does he want with me? One minute he's asking me to dinner, the next he is abducting me and having me beaten. One minute he's acting all jealous of you, the next minute he's out on a date with someone else who he's clearly having sex with. One minute he's telling me how much he likes me, and would wait forever if he has to, the next minute he is back in the hands of his lover.” I said.
      You know the most annoying part? He told her I was some helpless little girl he was just helping. Like who put me in this situation in the first place? This is so humiliating. And to think i have feelings for him.” I continued.
      “Having feelings for someone isn't a bad thing. It's actually a beautiful thing. And having feelings for someone you aren't supposed to isn't necessarily a bad thing. Most times, we don't even know when it starts until we are in so deep that we don't know how to stop or want to stop.” he says giving me that look again.
       I feel a shiver go down my spine.
      “And you shouldn't beat yourself up about it, even trained agents with years of experiences catch feelings all the time. And I'm not saying this to down play your efforts or anything.” he added.
      “What if you found out that he wasn't involved in the abduction?”he suddenly asked after a moment of silence.
      “What?” I asked taken aback. I had never thought of that. That's impossible. I know what I heard. I could feel him there. And the guilt on his face, nah.” I looked at him, his expression was unreadable.
      “Besides,” I continued, “He is a jerk, that doesn't respect women. I was always right about him. I sure as hell deserve a lot better.”
      “Right? You sure do” he said suddenly happy. “I need to get my act together and finish this mission.” I said stuttering.
      “You are drunk, I would walk you to the car” he said. After sorting the bills, we walked outside and it was already dark.
      I stumbled almost falling, he grabbed my hand to steady me. He didn't let it go though. We walked like that for a while. Then I faced him to say thank him and say goodbye.
      Suddenly, he took me in his embrace, I hugged him back. He tightened his embrace. It was comforting. Even though I couldn't tell Pam anything that was going on right, it was really comforting to know I had someone that knew what was going on and had my back.
*                 *                    *                 *                  * 
*                  *                    *                  *                 *
Accross the street, a pair of eyes stared at the couple embracing. He felt his chest tighten. Their eyes met. Alessandro and Luke locked eyes. Luke leaned down and whispered something in her ears with out breaking eye contact. She giggled and a second later, he guided her, his hand on her waist to his car. Alessandro watched as they got in and after a few minutes, the car drove off. No, please no, he kept silently praying.
      Few minutes later, his phone rang, her driver had called to let him know that she had texted him saying he could go home. She would come  back herself. His guard came to meet him and asked if they should follow them.
      “No, let them go.” he answered.

*                   *                     *                  *               *
*                    *                     *                   *            *
        Later that night, Luke watched her as she slept. His heart ached with yearning, the person he loved was so close to him yet it was like they were millions of miles apart. While his heart beat for her, hers hummed for another. And even though she tried to downplay the feelings she had for Alessandro, he knew they ran deeper than she would ever admit.
      It was a circle, a circle that was lined with lies, betrayal and heart break. Even though he knew he couldn't have her, Alessandro wasn't right for her. He was a bad man.
      The more she got involved with him,her life was in danger. He had sworn to protect her. And even though she might never forgive him, especially when she learned the truth, he had to keep up the act to get her away from Alessandro.
       Because he knew if she found out the truth, it would only be pushing her straight into the hands of the enemy. Though he loved her, it was a sacrifice he was willing to make.