Chapter 25: Three Words

Jungkook's P.O.V

Students were catching up with their friends, comparing the marked sheets our teacher handed out at the end of the lesson. Robert and I congratulated each other too, satisfied with our grades, but Kim Taehyung was the only one to take a single look at his, give himself a little grin, and decide it was enough. I'd predicted he'd be excited and even expected him to thank me. He did not.

Hurriedly, Taehyung began stuffing his equipment into the rugged bag while I was approaching the guy, wishing to make sure his efforts were indeed paying off. He noticed me, passed by, and was quick to leave the classroom.

"Is Kim trying to avoid you?" Robert smacked the back of my head. "What did you do this time?"

"He's not avoiding me, no way!" I cried. "Why would he? Why now?"

I followed him down the hallway, both of us moving at a fast pace past the lockers to the building's exit, making our way to the front gates while the school day was not yet through.

"Taehyung! Where are you going?" My voice almost made him stumble upon his own feet.

The smile of relief displayed on the boy's face once realizing it was me who called his name sent all my worries away. "I have permission to leave early." Taehyung showed me a note before handing it to the school's gatekeeper. The elder read it and opened the gates.

He was about to step out. I grabbed his hand. "Why?"

"I need to go to work," he said.

"At your studies expense? Since when?"

Taehyung lowered his gaze. "Now I need the money more than anything. But I'm not in danger, Jungkook, in case you wondered."

I let go, though watching him continue forward, called, "wait!" Taehyung stopped again. "Take this."

"What is this?" he asked, holding onto the piece of paper.

"The address of a new restaurant, you'll be working there. I was planning to slip it into your locker or something, didn't know how to tell you about it. Removing you from your workplace without consulting first, although necessary, still felt like a dick move," I told him.

Taehyung looked back up. "I can't, Jungkook, I need the money. I've searched it up, no place here would pay me more, the salary wouldn't be enough."

"One salary, yes. You'll be getting two," I said. "Quit your job soon because our first shift is next week."

Taehyung took a step back, then froze. "Our?"

"I'll be working there right by your side," I told him, beaming. "Whatever I'll manage to get will go directly into your pockets."

"Are you insane?! Quit trying to pay me! I'm not your—"

"I'm not doing this because you'd have sex with me in return, get this ridiculous idea out of your brain," I said, "I ask for nothing."

The gatekeeper stared at us as the odd conversation was taking place, and Taehyung kept standing in front of me, silent.

"You don't believe me?" I asked. He didn't answer. "I would never lie to you. I'm doing this for you."

A sudden smirk crept to his face. "If I trust that, shouldn't I ask why?"

The amount of power he held over me with that expression set my cheeks on fire. You're too obvious, Jungkookie, and he's totally exposing you...

"I can do whatever I want if I feel like it, Taehyung, and I don't need to explain myself!"

Taehyung's P.O.V