Chapter 35: A Face-To-Face

Taehyung's P.O.V

I was a hypocrite. While advising Jungkook to take notes from my brother's advice, I was about to disregard it.

Dohyun said I couldn't tell her.

I sat down on the couch, next to her, in front of the playing television screen. "How much does it kill you to hide things from me?" I asked.

Mom, in response, grabbed the remote and turned the device off, answering, "very."

"We may have had our disagreements in the past, but you're still my mother, you're important to me, and it pains me doing the same to you," I told her, playing with my fingers. "Can we talk?"

With a warm smile, she took my hand into hers, caressing it kindly as I began shaking. "Oh, baby, I'm so glad you've decided to open up. What is it? I see something's been bothering you lately. It's alright. You can tell me." The fear had gone away at once, leaving me with a racing heart and a boost of adrenaline. I was about to get rid of a huge, pressuring weight on my shoulders, and the thought turned my terror into excitement. "Oh! Is the news good?"

"I guess the outcome is, though it depends, I love where I'm at with it, but that's a whole separate thing on its own... Also, I wouldn't call it 'news,'" I replied with little to no air. Mom seemed confused. "It's news to you. An old secret to me."

She reached the coffee table for her cup of tea and took a sip. "I'm listening." Following her words, I took one last, deep breath. That was it. It was a point of no return.

"I'm gay."

The cup fell onto the floor and shuttered.

"Gay? What do you mean gay?" Mom stood up with clenched fists. I glanced up at her, horrified: This wasn't a mistake, I told myself, it can't be. "Are you kidding me? You think I should be fine with that?!" she yelled.

"Mom, please! You've met my boyfriend, and you loved him, didn't you?" I said and got up too.

"Jungkook? Of course, I liked him! How could I've possibly known what the two of you've been up to?!" I heard her.

My brain was yet trying to convince me— I had this.

"And is that not alright because he's a man? He's great for your son, kind, fun, smart... And He's even Korean! You've always wanted me to date another Korean."

"Yeah, a Korean girl!" Mom said. "Sorry, I didn't even think I'd have to mention one of these things was a bigger priority."

"Doh is okay with it, and he's thirteen," I told her. "Why can't you be?"

Bringing up my brother had made her pause. She began inhaling and exhaling, closed her eyes, and attempted to relax her muscles before opening them again, just as mad. The actions weren't unfamiliar.

"Did you tell your little brother you'd been seeing another man?" The quiet, serious tone was sending me chills. Silent and frozen, I nodded. "HOW DARE YOU INVOLVE A CHILD IN YOUR WICKED PERVERSIONS?!"

"There's nothing wicked about this!" I cried. "Mom, I beg you, this is my life we're talking about, my real life, and it includes my relationship with a person who's improved it so much..."

"I bet he did. I was curious where all those gifts and money were coming from, and now I wonder what your father would say if he found out his older son was a prostitute!"

Mom began moving towards me with sharp steps, making me move a few backward. "What are you—" She grabbed my jacket, pulling it, struggling to take it off. "No! Let go!"