Chapter 16: Good Luck

A/N: Merry Christmas, everyone! (Okay, Happy Holidays if you don't necessarily celebrate Christmas...) :D Whatever you celebrate, hope you all had an amazing holiday! As promised chapter 16 AND 17 are here for your enjoyment ;) Just make sure to have some tissues handy. I don't know, it's just a feeling I got while writing this (my hand should be cramping!) Anyway, hope you enjoy this chapter along with #17 ;) Thanks so much for reading <3

Chapter 16: Good Luck

   "Are we actually taking orders from a freaking vampire?! I don't care about what could've happened!"

   Clary was pretty outspoken after hearing the news that the exam would happen sooner rather than later. "It's not fair-"

   "No, and it's not meant to be," Ethan stated in a soft voice. He was quietly looking over a paper he'd given to his Mom. "By the way Mr. Church handled Oliver Blackwell, I'm positive it could be much worse."

   "You're not helping, Frazer."

   "Look," the blue-eyed boy met my steady gaze. "I agree, this isn't fair at all. Alright? But it can't be helped."

   "You're wrong," I pressed, eyes narrowing. "If it weren't for me, Oliver wouldn't have-"

    "It's not your fault, Toni. Don't you dare blame yourself-" When I stared Ethan down, he smartly shut his mouth. "Do you have a better explanation, Ethan? Huh? All I know is that Oliver wants that vision to come true, and it can't happen while I'm still in training."

   "You sound like you're okay with it," Clary muttered.

   I shook my head sharply, leaning back a bit. "Don't worry, I'm not. I'm not about to accept this just because some bloodsucking seer saw the future." I sighed. "The future can always change." I knew that.

   Sighing, our group dispersed. The details for our final had yet to be explained, but that was the point, I think. I was still apprehensive, and that was expected. The Order hadn't confronted me about my connection with Oliver or even Henri. Speaking of Henri, the vampire's blood was still clutched in my tight grip. When my eyes went upon it, I remembered its importance.

   It will help Jess...It will...

   Glancing up to find Ethan standing before me, I was shocked to see him. He hadn't left yet? It was late now, and most had gone home. The vampires were also gone, but... Ethan?

   "What?" he asked me, brow furrowed. "Are you sure you're okay?"

   I bit my lip. "I never said I was okay."

   "True, but you seem... different."

   Different? I swallowed, taking the vial and showing it to my friend. Ethan's icy eyes widened at the sight. "Where... where did you get that?"

   My fingers curled around the glass. "I found it at the club the other day."

   "Dusk to Dawn?" Ethan exclaimed, voice pinched with concern. "What the Hell were you doing there, by yourself no less?" Instead of answering him, I dropped the vial into his open palm. "Ethan, listen to me."

   "Toni-"

   "No, listen," I pressed, staring him in the eye. "What I found will help Jess. It should wake her up."

   "What exactly is it?" Ethan's eyes now pinned the vial in his hand. "Vampire blood? Toni-"

   "Just trust me on this, Ethan," I said with a slow, steady voice. My friend looked at me for a moment longer before pocketing the vial. "I do trust you, Drake. With my life."