Babies and Fools

"SHOULD'VE KNOWN I'D BE THE FIRST TO LEAVE, THINK ABOUT THE PLACE WHERE YOU FIRST MET ME. IN A GETAWAY CAR, NO, THEY NEVER GET FAR"

"So you know how our 6-month anniversary is in a week" Otis starts, "yes of course" I lean in to kiss his lips. "I got us a table at Bellareece," he tells me, "Jess' restaurant? She's always telling me how they are fully booked for months on end?" I gasp.

"Yeah well I begged Jess to make an exception for us" he replies. 

"Well then I will put on my fanciest dress" I smile, "and I will put on my fanciest suit" he smiles back. 

"Can't wait" he leans forward to kiss me.

"Hey lovebirds" Hermann sits across from us, "I need to talk to your boyfriend for a minute," I dig into my breakfast, letting the guys talk about the bar stuff.

"What's up Hermann?" Otis wraps his arm around me.

"You heard of the Drunken Mile?" Hermann brings up.

"Yeah, it's a pub crawl" Otis scoffs, "why?" He is not interested in this conversation. 

"Yeah well there's one this Saturday coming up" Hermann mentions, "and there's an open spot" he adds. Otis takes a long pause before declining Hermann's offer.

"Why not?" Hermann doesn't give up yet.

"Because I have done the Drunken Mile and it's a bunch of rowdy morons puking in the back booths" Otis remarks, "thanks for that, I will make sure to tell Jess and Ryan what you called us" I chime in.

Otis smirks and kisses my shoulder as a way to apologise.  

"Trust me" he turns back to Hermann, "it's not the kind of crowd you want at Molly's" he stands firm. 

"MATTHEW CASEY! WHERE YOU AT?!" A random man bangs on the door and bursts through. "Who the hell is that?" We stand up to investigate, "ALDERMAN CASEY I AM CALLING YOU OUT!" Guess this is a political thing.

"Uhm excuse me" Marcie, Connie's replacement, tries to stop him.

"Woah!" The man jumps back, "you don't sneak up on a man that knows hand-to-hand combat" he warns as Marcie steps back. 

"What's going on here?" Cruz asks as we all approach the man.

"Tell alderman Casey that Max Schlottman is here to see him" he stops raising his voice. 

"Mr Schlottman" Casey walks up behind us, a fake smile on his face as he approaches the guy. "How come you don't return my calls Alderman?" He throws at Casey, "you too good for me? Huh?" He gets agitated again.

"I'm very sorry Mr Schlottman" Casey calms him down, "but listen" he shakes his hand, "here's the thing, I don't handle ward business when I am on shift" he leads Mr Schlottman away and towards the exit.

We follow, impressed that Casey managed to lead the guy out of the firehouse without him yelling again. 

"So another satisfied constituent?" Hermann teases, "sorry about that guys" Casey apologises. 

"Marcie are you okay?" He asks a still shaken Marcie, "yeah" she exhales, "I'm good" she adds more convincingly.

"SQUAD 3! AMBULANCE 61!" The siren goes, "PIN-IN ACCIDENT, 5200 BLOCK, WEST 26TH STREET!" Cruz grabs onto my shoulder and pulls me back as we rush towards the rig, getting geared up and jumping in. 

Tony drives off.

"You know Tony, we haven't had a chance to talk" I start, "but the Lieutenant and I talked and he agreed to let me drive for one shift" I bring up.