Can We Ever Go Home Again?

"PAPA, ARE YOU NEAR ME? PAPA, CAN YOU HEAR ME? PAPA, CAN YOU HELP ME NOT BE FRIGHTENED?"

"You sure you don't us to come along?" Jess offers while I throw my suitcase in the back of my cab, "I am not going to be gone for long" I tell her. "I know" she replies, "but this is a big decision and you might need our help to make it" she adds.

"I think I just need to be away from everyone for a while" I give her and Ryan a tight hug and get into the car. Waving to them as the cab driver moves off towards the airport, I already feel more weightless. 

Chicago has been very emotionally exhausting. 

I need a break. 

Ohio. 

Here I come.

*

Severide's P.O.V. 

"Anyone seen Lewis?" Capp walks over to the squad table, "1st shift made a mess of the rig and she usually sorts it out when she comes in" he sits down.

"She took furlough for this week" I explain, not really knowing why either. 

"How many days does that girl take off?" Capp sighs, "in her defence, most of them are when she is recovering from nearly dying" I comment. "So is she hurt?" Tony asks, "I don't know, I don't think so" I shrug. 

Reminding myself to call in to check up on her.

"She probably took those days off to avoid Otis" Cruz comments, "why?" Capp asks. "You guys don't know?" He looks up from his cards, "know what?" I ask.

"Otis proposed" I bite my tongue.

"He what?" Capp gasps, "when was this?" I would like to know as well. 

"At the ice-skating rink when they went with Lieutenant and Anna" I was there and I didn't even see Otis proposing to her. 

"Did you see it happen, Lieutenant?" Capp turns to me. Of course not, if I did see it happen then I would have found a way to put it to a stop, "can't say I did" I shrug, "was a bit distracted" I try to seem unbothered.

"Well did she say yes?" Capp asks yet another question.

"Yes in fact they are on their honeymoon" Cruz sarcastically replies.

"We missed the wedding?" He buys it.

"You're so lucky you are a good firefighter Capp" I force a laugh so they don't look into my reaction too much.

*

Olivia's P.O.V. 

"Aunt Nancy" I jump into her arms, not having seen her in years, "Olivia" she matches my energy as we rock back and forth in our hug.

"Wow, every time I see you" she starts, "you never fail to impress me" she compliments, "aw I love you Aunt Nancy" I squeeze her one last time before pulling away.

"Now I love seeing you again but I don't think you came to Ohio to see me" we walk towards ber car, "so let's hear it," she must know me so well. "I just needed to get away" I admit, "boy troubles?" She helps me put my suitcase in the trunk. 

"Yeah, I guess" We get into her car.

"Well tell me then" she insists as she drives off, "I was young once you know" she adds, "boys have been trouble for generations" I laugh, missing how relaxed and chill Aunt Nancy is compared to my mom. 

"Well I am dating this guy who is amazing and a really great person" I start, "but for some reason, I just don't love him" I continue. "The guy I do love happens to be my Lieutenant, who is in a very happy relationship with another woman" I sigh, "and did I mention the guy who I am dating proposed to me."