ten

dixies pov.

two of the cops come outside, both look at me with nothing but pity and i can tell what's coming without them even talking. 

"miss, i am so very sorry for your loss" the female officer speaks breaking the news. my father is gone, the person i love most, gone. i will never get to see him again.

"no no no" i stutter, pushing past them to go see for myself. it's as though my brain is on auto pilot as my clouded vision causes me to constantly bump into things. 

it's not long before i see him, laying there silent, lifeless. it feels although my world has just came crashing down. i fall to my knees beside him, sobs escaping my throat as i take his hand. i watch his faint breaths slow as he slips away from earth.

"dix" he mumbles, using all his energy to say his final words.

"i'm right here dad" i reply, wiping the tears off of my face. the paramedics leave the room, knowing there's nothing left to help him.

"i love you but i think it's my time to go" his voice is like a whisper but in the silence it's all i can hear, it fills the room.

"no, please don't go dad" i cry, my head falling onto his chest.

"tell char i love her" he continues on, raising his hand to wipe my tears.

"i will" 

"i need you to take care of her and the puppies. you're in charge now dix" he smiles at me and i can't help but return it, everything feeling bittersweet.

"of course, is there anything else" i ask, needing him to be happy before he passes.

i sniff, attempting to hold back my tears so he can't see how painful this truly is.

"just be you, that's the best thing you could do" he squeezes my hand and sends me another smile. i watch now as his eyes flutter, him barely fighting to stay awake now.

"always remember how much i love you both and how proud you've made me" he whispers, his voice cracking as he lets a few tears drop.

"i love you too dad" i mumble, his hand falls out of mine and sobs erupt from my throat, i lean my head down on his chest letting it all out.

i hear footsteps behind me and before i know it amelie's arms are wrapped around my shoulders, i lean back into her as i try to calm myself down. she places a kiss on my head then lays her head on my shoulder.

"i've got you, just breathe" amelie whispers into my ear, her left hand stroking my hair.

soon the police escort us out as this is still and active crime scene, we head to amelie's apartment since i no longer have a home. we sit on her couch and watch some reality tv in a hope to get my mind off of things. amelie continuously checks up on me but i think she can tell just by looking at my swollen face and red eyes exactly how i'm feeling.

we snack on some microwave popcorn and before we even know it we've both fallen asleep.