our near-moment

thank u yerboi- for the comments that radiated chaotic energy and made my day <3

also it's june 1st so I'm exploding internally 

(everyone gets skittles 🌈)

***

WILL

I head to my locker, unlocking my lock while scanning the area for James. It's the last period of the day, and after school's the whole dance. The winter formal.

The entire hallway is in a buzz like it is every dance.  I throw a smirk at anyone who makes eye contact for a half second while still keeping my eyes peeled for James. I could've sworn I saw him over-

"So, you're going with James, right?" 

A voice cuts through my thoughts and I whip around to see Jason leaning against my locker, his dark locks falling to his face.

"Sure," I reply, looking him up and down. James and I are hanging out at the dance. It's mainly a group thing, but whatever.

Jason replies after a couple moments, "thought so."

There's a certain uncertainty that crawls up my chest, fills up my lungs so that I can barely fucking breath. My eyebrows knit together. My arms cross over each other as my eyes flicker up to his dark ones. Beautiful and soulful. And painfully irritating at this moment in time.

My head tilts to the side, eyebrows still knitted. "And that's supposed to mean?" 

"Nothing, I guess," he runs his hand through his hair and tilts his head to the side. "But," his voice dips, "You could spend the night at mine."

Something in me is hesitant. I purse my lips, mind clouding over in thought, everything swirling. 

"Trust me when I say we'll have a lot more fun than you do with James." He presses on, and I wonder how he can even hear me with his AirPods in.

I shake my head, and can feel my face going hot, not because of Jason's affect on people, but the fact that he brought James into this. Why is he bringing James into this?

"I'll pass," I finally say, and the two words sound foreign on my lips.

"Don't you kind of owe me?" That's Jason's mistake as his eyes carefully flicker to mine, and my mouth parts.

I let out an incredulous laugh. He can't be serious. And while I can sense his hurt, his slight desperation, I can't let that slide.

Because our relationship has never been and never should be a you-owe-me situation. Jason regrets it, I'm certain, but his face takes an emotionless resolve and irritation rises to my features in full force.