our hangouts

It's Just Us has been getting tons of love lately

i love you guys🤧

***

JAMES 

I'm not a mall person. 

And it's not that I avoid the mall like the plague. Every once in a while, you find some places that draw you in. That being said, there are few things that keep me away from malls in general.

1. Other teenagers from other schools

2. Other teenagers from my school

3. Awkward interactions with clerks and customer service

Now that I think about it, the main thing that gives me anxiety at the mall is primarily other people. Not much of a surprise there.

The mall a little ways away from the school is almost always jam packed. People seem to fill every nook and cranny, wander through the gaping space, shoulders brushing with their friends.

But, standing in front of the mall, which is standing at its full glory and showcasing different brands, not to mention an elegant fountain at the front entrance, it's hard to just walk away from it.

However, the main thing that makes it hard to walk away is Will standing beside me, hands shoved in his pockets, eyes roving over the entire mall. His phone vibrates in his pocket, and he slips it out.

"Kayla says that they're on their way." He says, turning toward me.

"Cool," I reply, lips tugging into a half grin.

"Meaning that they probably haven't left their houses," Will says, curving his lips upwards in a teasing grin.

I chuckle, and he continues, "But, that also means we have some minutes to burn together." We push through the doors, sneakers tapping on the marble floor, as other mall-goers pass by us, and he gives me a show-stopping grin once we're inside.

"What's the plan?" I ask, giving him a little lopsided smile.

"I don't know. Not sure I'm ready to enter any shops," Will scans the area, taking in the variety of places to go. "We could play a game or something."

"What type of game? I really don't want security after us," I finish, with slightly raised eyebrows, especially since I know Will's games can get really out of hand. Will just nudges the back of my hand with his own, giving me the smallest feeling of warmth.

 In terms of still being best friends and still hanging out, things are virtually the same. But there are differences since everything happened, like casual nudges, smirks here and there, Will's arms finding their way around me more often than before. 

"I don't know," He says again, "How about I find you in the mall or something?" I raise my eyebrows and he continues, "If I find you in 15 minutes, you owe me one. If I don't, vice versa."