our rewards

thank you to thorn0001 for your comments

thank you to thorn0001 for your comments. they made my day omg <3

another thank you to -stanley_barber- because your comments are engaging and entertaining asjhfhj i loved them <3

ok let's do this-

***

JAMES

"Your performance was exceptional, James."

I look up from my notebook to see Ms. Ingram grinning at me, hands held to her chest.

"Thank you," I reply, twirling my pen between my fingers. It's the last class of the day, but the first time I'm seeing Ms. Ingram today. 

I don't necessarily hate compliments, but I've never been able to take a fucking compliment. And I can't say it isn't awkward as I try to allow an uncomfortable grin to slide onto my lips, face heating as eyes flick towards me.

"I brought some poetry competitions," she shuffles through the papers in her hands. She pauses for a moment. "But," she says, "I think I should give you your reward first."

Reward? I send a look to some of the other kids in English class, who just shrug back at me. 

Ms. Ingram hands me a card which I hold between both hands, analyzing it. 

"A gift card?" I ask, a small smile curving onto my lips.

"Everyone who spoke at Unspoken Voice is receiving one," She leans forward, dropping her voice, "But, seeing as you're the winner of the event, I had to up your gift card to fifty dollars."

My mouth parts, slightly.

"It wouldn't feel right if I didn't." She sighs, looking up at the ceiling as if reliving my speech. "The structure, the flow...the rhythm." Her eyes meet mine once more,"I loved it, wholeheartedly."

"Thank you," I say, again, because I don't know what else to say. She gives me one last nod and a grin before returning back to the front and letting everyone in class get back to their work.

It's hard for me to prevent a half smile from sliding up my face, because when the final bell rings and I start making my way out of the classroom, it feels like I'm walking on clouds.

As I walk through the hallway, Will falls into step with me, signature black Vans making their way across the tiles. 

My boyfriend.

Fuck, the flutters won't stop, incessantly swimming in my chest like just seeing him is causing my world to cave in.

I give him a grin, shaking my gift card in the air, and Will's lips pull into a smile as he says, "you deserve it."