our graduation

i can't believe we're on the last official chapter already 😳

and oml It's Just Us is #1 in boyxboy asdjfgha

***

JAMES

"Guess what day it is?"

I groan, trying to pull the blankets further up to my chin. Too early for this shit. Too fucking early. "Please, Mom." I squeeze my eyes shut, folding myself into the thick blanket that envelops my entire frame.

"It's your graduation!" Mom shakes me slightly, and I groan again. "James, get up." She says, shaking me again.

I snuggle deeper into my bed, pulling the blanket over me head. "No."

"James." She sighs, and I can picture her giving me that fiery glare that seems to run through her side of the family. 

"Mamá," I reply, pushing my face further into the pillow, and refusing to let her drag me out of the bed.

Silence passes for a few moments, until a bright, scalding light illuminates my entire room, the sun shining onto the formerly dark space, and my eyes burn at the newly introduced light source. Fuck.

"Te lo digo por tu bien."  Mom emphasizes, "It's your graduation, James."

"We can miss it," I insist, tiredly, despite the fact that I'm fully aware that this is a losing battle. She yanks the blanket off of me and I exhale a groan as I hoist myself upwards, sitting up on my bed as I blink once, twice.

"Sorry not sorry," Mom says, giving me a firm pat on the back, before her hands return to her hips, neon pink bathrobe hanging from her slim frame. "Get in the shower, get dressed, and then we're driving you to school."

"Fine," I say, yawning. I rise from my bed, shuffling over to the bathroom, feet padding on the marble flooring as my hand ruffles through my curls.

"It's your big day, James. I'd never want you to miss it." Mom says, as I turn around to meet her eyes. I let out a breath.

Then she gives me a tender smile. One that lights up her entire face, from the wide grin to her dark irises, olive skin glowing underneath the sunlight filtering into my room. All of which makes it extremely difficult for me to jump right back into my bed and continue sleeping without guilt consuming my insides.

 Well, it's the smile and also the fact that if Mom sees me back in bed after she told me to get out, the chancla's coming.

***

When I make my way down the stairs, I glance down to see my parents standing in the middle of the living room, looking up at me like I've just won prom queen or something.

My formal clothes are underneath, but draped over my body is my navy blue graduation gown, and my graduation cap perched on top of my mess of curls. I slowly step down the stairs, raising my eyebrows as their eyes stay on me.