our coming out

***

JAMES

Today is the day we're doing it.

After a turbulent few months, a high rush of emotions and unhealthy levels of anxiety, I'm finally coming out with Will.

T. Boulevard still stands tall, sleek and glassy in front of us, and somehow, today, the large windows and angular shape seems infinitely more intimidating than usual.

This is it.

"We're actually fucking doing this." Will says from next me, folding the collar of his signature denim jacket.

His eyes stay on the building, tracing out the outline of it for a few seconds.

"Are you scared?" I ask, glancing over at him.

He shakes his head, running a hand through the pale waves. "Scared? What even is that?"

A laugh escapes my lips and Will sneaks a glance at me. "Fuck that."

"Alright," I say.

"Alright," Will echoes.

We both inhale and our eyes meet for a few seconds before our gaze returns to the building.

Will reaches his hand out to mine, and without hesitation, I slip my hand in his, letting flutters consume my entire body.

Then with one last glance, we walk into T.Boulevard, hands linked as though that's how they were always supposed to be.

Seconds later, the doors are flying open and we're walking into the hallway.

People react quickly.

Students nudge each other at the lockers, and not-so-subtly have their eyes dart to us, then to our clasped hands. Murmurs fill the air, and I squeeze Will's hand tighter as my heart starts pounding.

Stares. So many fucking stares.

We keep walking, though. Keep moving foot after foot, never unlinking our hands.

A few feet in front of us, blonde hair is pulled into a half-up style, eyeliner is carefully traced, and soon, Maddy's pulling away from her locker, and glancing towards us. In a split second reaction, a massive grin breaks out onto her face, and she puts both hands together, clapping.

A few feet away from her, Gavin's walking in our direction, coming to a screeching halt when he sees us.

His lips part.

Kayla's next to him, and a knowing smile curves onto her lips when her eyes meet ours. Alyssa runs a hand through stubborn curls before linking arms with Kayla, and Andrea approaches a few seconds later, linking arms with Alyssa, so they form their usual chain of three.