our drama

ok this chapter might be a bit of an emotional roller coaster towards the mid-end so i apologize in advance :,(

***

WILL

Hearing the roar of the stadium as Gavin scores the final touchdown of the game spikes my adrenaline level like anything.

I wasn't completely sure how this game would turn out. James and I are okay, but there's still awkwardness, and all I was hoping was that it wouldn't transition onto the field.

And it didn't. 

Not in any fucking way.

Gavin was flaming the entire game, everyone putting in their everything, moving quickly, making smart turns. Seizing the field like the game belongs to us.

Running up to Gavin, I give him a firm slap on the back, shaking him, as the rest of the team makes their way towards him. Gavin has the widest grin on his face, and he takes off his helmet before yelling out to the audience who only roars louder in response.

It's the best way to end the season, and Coach is fully aware of the fact, if his bouncing from foot to foot and shaking his fist in the air is any indication. He's laughing. Coach Harris is fucking laughing.

I guess he's really surprised that we've actually managed to pull through. But we're a strong team. We know each other well enough to work like a well oiled machine.

We make our way to the bleachers, where the roar of hundreds of students is deafening. It seems like everyone's there, including my parents and James' parents, seated side by side in a row of four and whistling as they wave frantically at us, Ciara seated next to them, cheering me on despite the fact that she'd said she wasn't coming.

"You know what?" Gavin speaks up, my eyes dart to him and the teenage part of the crowd hushes, eyes darting towards him, eagerly waiting for him to continue, "After game party at my house."

James raises his eyebrows from Gavin's left, his helmet off, as the crowd hovers around us, people's arms thrown around our shoulders, "good job"s and "I'll be there"s filling the air. I guess winning a game that smoothly and that competitively hypes people up, a lot. Not to mention an open invitation to Gavin's party.

I make my way to James' side, weaving through the crowd to get to him. He's adjusting his navy blue and golden jersey, awkwardly smiling at the compliments he's receiving from people. He's the recipient of side hugs, people nodding at him, massive grins being sent his way that he responds to with semi-nervous peace signs.

I try to hold in a laugh at the scene, and James glances towards me, one hand distractedly playing at his curly hair while the other hand is nervously accepting high fives and fist bumps and handshakes. I squint. Somewhere within the throng of teens, a scout shakes his hand, saying something to James whose grin looks star struck at the words before the scout passes by and James' eyes find mine.