Chapter 34 - Screwdriver

I walk into The Black Gold in a much better mood than I was this morning. Sosa stayed after dinner and we had a blast getting ready, especially since we haven't gone out together in a while. Also, seeing Millie settled and comfortable at home calmed my apprehensions about leaving her alone on her first night back from the hospital. She was so happy she insisted on taking photos of us before we left and we goofed around and fake-modelled for her for ten minutes before she finally kicked us out.

Now I just have to get drunk enough to get through the night and sleep like a baby afterwards. God knows I can't spend another night counting the cracks in the ceiling.

"Derek!" Sosa screams as soon as she spots her boyfriend on one of the couches.

Derek's head along with three others turns in our direction and I stop dead in my tracks, not wanting to believe my eyes.

I instantly recognise Matt and Alexia whom I had met briefly when Sosa first started seeing Derek, the atrocious best friends who went behind Derek's back and became the world's most adorable couple. The third head belongs to Shaun.

Shaun. The one and only, green-eyed, marathon-maniac Shaun.

I watch helplessly as his eyes widen at the sight of me, and then he slowly turns around, sorely giving me his back. I turn to Sosa angrily, but she ignores me and runs off excitedly towards Derek. He stands up and catches her in his arms, pressing her to his chest as she wraps her legs around his waist and plants a deep kiss on his lips.

"Get a room!" says Alexia in her drawling, high-pitched voice.

I grudgingly walk up to them. Sosa takes a seat on Derek's lap and to my chagrin, I realise that the only remaining space is next to Shaun, who is still carefully avoiding my eyes. I almost text Jeremy to tell him, knowing his warped sense of humour would find this funny, but then I remember he's not talking to me.

"Hi," I say awkwardly raising a hand to Sosa's birthday entourage.

I give Sosa a lethal stare as I shuffle in front of her to get to my designated spot beside Shaun. She doesn't bat an eye but I know this is her doing. And she will pay.

"You've all met my best friend, Ally," she says confidently ignoring the uncomfortable silence that's fallen upon the group.

"Hi, Ally," Matt says looking me up and down, his mouth hitching at the corners. "We haven't seen you in a while."

I smile politely at him in response but it's hard to stop my body from shuddering under his creepy stare.

Then Derek asks out of courtesy, "How's your grandmother? They sent her home today, right?"

"She's okay. Thank you."

"Sent her home? What happened?" Shaun asks turning to me.

The genuine concern is evident in his endless-green eyes as he focuses his attention on me fully. His resolve to ignore me melts down completely and it's as though we're nothing but close friends. My cheeks flame red-hot and my heart pangs for him. Why does he always have to be so damn nice?

"She... Um... she was in the hospital for a few days. She had to have a procedure done, but she's better now. Thanks."

He nods and says, "Good. I'm glad she's okay. I know how close you two are."

Damn it, he's killing me!

From the corner of my eye, I see Sosa looking over at me cautiously. "So, what are you guys drinking?" she asks.

Derek squeezes her closer to him and says, "We should be asking you. What are you having, Birthday Girl?"

For some inexplicable reason, Alexia finds this extremely funny and cackles loudly. Matt smiles at her and puts his hand on her thigh. I notice Shaun rolling his eyes at them and I can't help but smile.