Chapter 58 - The Fall

I put on a dark green, mid-length dress. My dress. The one dress that gives those 'feel good' vibes. I think it's the way the material flows around my knees.

I pull my hair into a soft updo and let some strands fall casually on my shoulders so that it doesn't look like I've put too much effort into it. I put on a pair of black, peep-toe heels and apply my favourite red lipstick. I look steadily into the mirror as I splash some perfume on my neck. 

The dragons in my stomach are back. I can't believe this is happening. I don't think I can fool myself into thinking this is not a date this time.

I open the window and let in the cool breeze. It's beginning to smell like spring. The nights are already getting warmer. 

I grab a light black shawl and step out into the living room to find Jeremy standing in front of the panoramic window. He is perfectly still save for the discreet twitching of his left knee, hands in his pocket, back straight as a line. He turns as he hears the door to my room close and our eyes meet across the room. The sight of him takes my breath away.

Oh my God... this is happening!

He looks strikingly handsome in dark blue jeans, a black pullover and a casual light grey shirt underneath. He looks me up and down and his eyes shine brightly as they settle on my lips. The intense burning grows deep in my abdomen. As I walk up to him, his eyes follow me with a devilish glimmer, as though he knows something I don't.

"Ready, Sparky?" he asks, smoothly.

Damn you, Jeremy James Cordina!

I nod, suddenly wanting nothing more than to stay here. Ignore the hunger for food, ignore the utter and complete mess we are making and just go back to bed, sate the other hunger that's torturing my body. 

But Jeremy makes his way quickly out the door, so I follow him out onto the pavement and watch him walk towards a mean-looking, sleek, grey car. Its lights flicker twice as he reaches it.

My jaw drops. "What happened to the Porsche?" I ask, the disappointment clear in my voice.

Jeremy holds the passenger door open for me, avoiding my eyes. "I upgraded," he answers shortly as I climb in.

The inside of the new car is very lush. It has beautiful cream leather seats and buttons and gadgets everywhere. It reminds me of the inside of a private jet, or rather what I imagine the inside of a private jet would look like. He climbs into the driver's seat and raises an eyebrow at me.

"Seatbelt," he orders.

"When?"

"Now."

"When did you sell the Porsche?" I ask impatiently rolling my eyes.

He exhales through his nose and reaches over to put the seatbelt on me himself. As he leans in, his delicious scent hits my brain and it makes the hairs on my neck stand on edge. He keeps his face half an inch away from mine, looking deeply into my eyes as he clicks the buckle into place. I squirm a little in my seat but force myself to focus. The barely-there smirk on his mouth tells me that he's heard my breath hitch in my throat. 

He's doing it on purpose. To get a thrill from the way his proximity affects me.

"Three weeks ago," he replies into my mouth.

It takes all my self-restraint and more not to defy him, challenge him, suck on his lower lip. He is so close that I would barely need to move. Maybe just tilt my head a little, if that. He'd deserve it, but my curiosity wins over my pride.

Three weeks. I had already moved into his apartment. He wasn't exactly in a good place then. Then a scary thought crosses my mind and my mouth is just as quick as my brain.