Chapter 14

KIDD

The darkness that had enveloped Kidd for so long had begun to fade, exposing his mind to the pulsing pain of his battered body. The darkness had been a blessing, until it became a curse. Kidd found his consciousness returning as if he had taken the longest rest in his life, his body hurt like so. A deep breath through his nose caused a pinch in his chest, but it was only slightly there, like a fractured or broken rib. Kidd didn’t know the difference, nor did he care. He must have shuffled around more than he thought, because a nudge to his shoulder had him prying his eyes open. His expression pulled into a scowl of pain.

Killer loomed above Kidd. The blue and white mask was shrouded by his mane of blond hair, it looked like he had slept near Kidd the whole time he had been out.

“Kidd, “ his voice came quiet and raspy, his tone sounded as if he couldn’t believe that Kidd was awake.

He silently stared up at Killer briefly before forcing himself to sit up, the tight bandages over his chest and torso inhibited his ability to properly stretch. But even so, Kidd instantly froze after attempting to spread his wings. They wouldn’t budge, and they hurt like he had slept on them funny and a dull ache lingered with occasional zings of pain.

“Don’t strain yourself. I’ll come with food and water, “ Killer still hesitated to leave Kidd’s side, but he managed to tear himself away.

Kidd was aware of Killer’s hesitancy, he knew why. Something was wrong with his wings, the shock still left him petrified at the edge of the makeshift cot. A bird without its wings, the thought was unpleasant and made Kidd sick to his stomach. The storm flashed outside the old crone’s hut and snapped Kidd out of his self deprecating thoughts. Instead he wondered about Law, if he made it to the ocean safe. If Kidd would ever see the damn fish again.

A light knocking drew Kidd fully from his thoughts, he found Killer standing at the foot of the cot. He must have knocked the frame with his boot. Kidd couldn’t see past the holes in Killer’s mask, but he knew his companion was aware of what he was thinking about. The kestrel came and sat beside Kidd while holding a wooden plate of food and held a small waterskin of water out. Kidd took it and drew several swigs before wiping his mouth with the back of his hand.

“How long was I out for?” Kidd didn’t want to talk, but he needed to know.

Killer was picking at a small bowl of noodles, mostly playing with them, he turned to face Kidd after a moment, “Nearly two days. The storm rages on.”

His tone was sober as he went back to picking at his noodles. Kidd merely lowered his head and tried to eat something as well. All they could do was wait, anyways.

-

ACE

Ace had decided to dress for the occasion, it wasn’t as if a festival of this degree occurred very often. Several fish were darting around the castle on last minute jobs while some remained in Ace’s chambers to help him dress. Jewelry made of sea glass and pearls decorated his torso. Bracelets, bands, and necklaces were pale in comparison to the crown he wore. The crown shone like the sun and formed dainty spikes that framed Ace’s face.

Satisfied with his appearance, Ace left his chambers to check the grand dining hall. The decorations had been outdone this year. Although it may not look like much, to Ace the clean up of the hall was a miracle. The coral had been trimmed back into place and fancy platters of food neatly littered every dining surface. A sense of pride welled up within Ace’s chest at the sight.

“Prince Ace! The Kings and their escorts have arrived!” bellowed the familiar voice of Usopp with the largest grin on his face from the excitement.