CHILDHOOD TRAINING:

I don't see how my music can benefit that way. I just focus on the piano and nothing else.

What good comes from breaking concentration?
Nothing.

But then again, before school idols came into my life... All I did was concentrate on piano, and I was kinda oblivious to the world around me.

I remember my lessons growing up...

-------------------------------------------

*TEN YEARS AGO*

Wrong note, again...

AKI: "I'm sorry Sensei."

ARIMA: "You played the wrong note again, didn't you?"

AKI: "That's the fifth time in a row. I'll never learn this piece in time..."

ARIMA: "Never? That's a strong word to use. There came a time where I myself chose to never play piano again."

AKI: "Even you, Sensei?"

ARIMA: "Even me."

AKI: "But you're so talented and successful, if you quit then what made you play again?"

ARIMA: "...A lie."

AKI: "A lie? But isn't lying bad?"

ARIMA: "It is, but this lie was different. A beautiful lie that shined so bright, that gave me new passion to play again."

AKI: "But I'm no good at this piece. The others in the contest have probably mastered their pieces."

ARIMA: "You think you're alone?"

AKI: "There's nothing I can do if I'm the only one who can't play."

ARIMA: *sigh* "There are many musicians in the same boat  I'm sure! One's who think 'I'll be darned if I do this' or 'why don't you play it?' And yet you always find yourself picking it up and once again sitting before that score. That's how...you create the most beautiful lie of all."

AKI: "I'm not sure I understand. But I think what you're telling me is not to give up."

ARIMA: "Tell me, why do you play piano?"

AKI: "Because it sounds so beautiful."

ARIMA: "And why is that? What makes the piano sound so beautiful?"

AKI: "How it's made?"

ARIMA: "No, it's the emotion of the piano itself."

AKI: "Then... it's a sad piano. There are fresh flowers in the room. You shouldn't put a piano next to water."

ARIMA: "I once thought that, but you don't decide what emotions the piano feels. For it will tell you itself how it feels."

AKI: "Huh?"

ARIMA: "I think it's time for me to teach you an important lesson. And that's imagery."

AKI: "Imagery?"

ARIMA: "The most important thing for you as a pianist and the score you play, is the imagery."

AKI: "I don't know anything about that."

ARIMA: "Then allow me to teach you. Before your fingers touch the keys, you must determine how you're going to play the score."

AKI: "I'll play it the way it's written."

ARIMA: "No, think deeper Akihiko. Look within yourself and ask... Why are you playing this piece? Who are you playing it for? The reason why you play piano. Who the piece is written by and who for? And when you concentrate hard enough and search deep enough, you will find those answers. And the piano will show you its true emotion."

AKI: "Okay. So concentration... concentration... concentration..."

I began to play the piano, it was unlike anything I've ever experienced before. Every note was perfect, and the sound resonated. The sound that both me and the piano created.

ARIMA: "Just as I thought, it's a happy piano. Do you see what I mean?"

AKI: "You have a way with words, Sensei. I always thought that a score limited someone's ability to play freely. But I was wrong."

ARIMA: "Music is freedom. No matter what form it takes. Take a break, my wife is trying to call me."

AKI: "Thank you, you're too kind."

ARIMA: "Hello, Tsubaki? Yes I'm sorry I didn't pick up your call... What do you mean I'm an idiot?!"

To think that the answer to playing the piano was imagery and emotion.

Without concentration, I cannot use either of those.

AYUMU: "Oh, you're still in here!"

AKI: "Oh... Hey, Ayumu."

AYUMU: "Is your lesson finished, Aki?"

AKI: "Not yet. I'm on break."

AYUMU: "Really? Then let's go outside!"

AKI: "I can't."

AYUMU: "Why not?"

AKI: "I'm not finished yet."

AYUMU: "Oh, right. But you went outside with me when you had your break yesterday."

AKI: "I know. But not today."

AYUMU: "B-But...why?"

AKI: "I'm sorry Ayu. I just need to concentrate."

I became somebody who valued concentration when performing.

Someone who spent most of his time playing piano. Outside of that time, I spent hanging out with Ayu.

I learned many instruments after that, but none produce the same sound as the piano.

Arima-Sensei soon left to further his career as a performer. I haven't seen or spoken to him since.

But what he taught me has stayed within me. And for that reason I value seriousness and concentration towards the piano.

I thought that all that life held for me was piano and politics. With the friendship of Ayu as a lucky bonus.

But school idols have opened up an entirely different world to me. The greyscale of seriousness has begun to fade away. School idols have brought color into my world.

And for that I'm grateful.