"Rosalind, Hurry up!" My mother's thick Dominican accent booms through the narrow hallway of our small apartment.

"Ya voy!" I yell back, adjusting the pin in my perfectly slicked hair. My hair was styled in a low middle part ponytail, my thick curls were somewhat brushed out at the end-which was a complete contrast to the heavily geld front. I looked at my self once more in the mirror making sure my t-shirt wasn't wrinkled and that my biker shorts weren't too short.

"Rosss." My mother whined elongating the 's' in my name to display her clear annoyance at my slow pace. She sure was in a hurry, I never quite understood why must she be so impatient and pushy all the time. It's always been like that. In her eyes I'm the lazy child who just lives here, it's like I'm a peice of furniture, but not the good kind. No. To her I'm the kind that you'd rather keep in a basement locked away, to collect dust never giving yourself a chance to find use for it. That is what I am to my mother.

"I'm coming I said." My annoyance growing by the second. I take in my mothers appearance she looks like she's dressed for a business meeting instead of Disney World, her navy blue dress hung tight to her body her curves on full display but still managing to stay classy her heels  where appropriate size for an amusement park to say the least. However with all that said  she did look good, my mother always looks beautiful, she doesn't need makeup but she insists on using it. Her light brown skin glows in the sun, and her smile is white and perfect, but perfect doesn't mean happy. My mother has some how perfected the art of putting on a fake smile, it's been that way for such a long time I've grown used to it. But no doubt she can surely fool most people.

I step in to the passenger seat of our blue mini van, pulling the rusted handle on the door to close it. The smell of stale leather floods my senses as I enter the vehicle. I adjust my seat, reclining it a bit. I pick at my acrylic nails, waiting for my mom to get in the car. As she sits down her gaze never leaves me, I can tell she wants to say something.

"Yes?" I question her even though I know she was going to say it anyway, might as well rip the Band-Aid off. Her  brows furrow and she tilts her head. Probably trying to find the right thing to say.

"Nada it's just, did you have to wear that." She waves her hands in front of my outfit, disapproval clear in her voice her eyes hold a hint of disgust. I think I look good. My black 'Boyz n' the Hood' t-shirt isn't too tight, black biker shorts aren't too short and the hoop earrings in my ears are the perfect size and of course my white air force's are spotless. I don't see what is wrong with my outfit.

"What is wrong with it?" I question my tone clipped.

"It's just seems a bit...urm inappropriate for Disney World. I mean who goes to Disney World out of all places in biker shorts." She rolls her eyes and my patience is being tested. Honesty I don't have time for her ridiculous remarks I just want to get going we're going to be late for our flight.

"I am seventeen years old ma' I can wear what I want where I want." I huff clearly over this conversation, but of course she keeps it going.

"Not while you live under my house if you want to dress like a puta you find your own place!"

"Don't worry mom I will be moving out soon anyway!" She scowls deeply and I just know that what she is going to say next is going to mess up the trip. I can just tell.

"You're lucky you got that miracle scholarship to AMDA! Because I would have never payed for your university!"

"Yeah," I feel slightly hurt but I know she doesn't mean it if she could have afforded my university she would have payed for it.

The one hour car ride from Paterson to Newark felt longer than usual the air was thick and dense in the run down car. The tension in the air was practically visible. And that was just a foreshadowing to the looming plane ride ahead. J.F.K Airport was packed and a bit chilly, I was hungry and grumpy, of course my hair began to frizz. Great. We didn't even get to California and I already look awful. I shifted uncontrollably while the young man at the desk took my passport. He was tall and skinny, freckles peppered his odd looking face. His green shallow eyes were cheap and hard, they were far too big for him and his red hair was long but kept out of his face. He smirked at me while he gave me my passport back, I gave him a deep scowl and he chuckled lowly.