Twenty Six - Sophie

The leap was nothing like Sophie had imagined.

It felt like her body was being frozen into an ice cube, then hammered into shards. She held on tightly with her subconscious, trying to fight through the frigid stabbing that was blooming in her chest. She focused on her firm grip on Keefe's arm, clinging to the only warmth left in the universe.

When the world came back into focus, Sophie immediately fell to the rough, dry ground, coughing. It felt like her body had been ripped apart, and the pain wasn't exactly mediocre.

She heard Lady Gisela's body fall to the ground as Keefe dropped beside her, gasping for breath. His icy blue eyes were clouded and panicked as he struggled to take in oxygen. Sophie was no help whatsoever, as she was madly trying to do the same.

When she forced air into her lungs, she nearly choked. The air was thick with humidity and dry as a bone simultaneously. It was nothing like the fresh, crisp air of the lost cities.

Then where were they?

Sophie scanned her surroundings, trying to take it all in while still struggling to breathe. Her lungs constricted even more as she stared at the new environment.

They were inside a dimly lit cave, the only light coming from a flickering torch on the left wall. The fire was white hot, but Sophie could tell it wasn't Everblaze. But that also meant someone must've lit it recently.

Sophie couldn't see farther than five feet in front of her, and even then there was nothing but the rocky ground in sight.

She heard Keefe stand and instinctively laced her fingers through his. She was more scared than she cared to admit.

Keefe gently squeezed her hand and sent cool blue breezes through her mind, reminding her that he felt everything she did. She could barely see his face, but she could see a faint smile on his lips. He must've been just as terrified as she was, but he was being strong for her.

Her eyes crinkled and she squeezed back, silently thanking him.

Sophie took a deep, calming breath and took one small step forward, Keefe following suite.

One more step.

Then another.

And another.

Her grip on Keefe's hand tightened as her foot grazed something on her seventh step into the darkness. It didn't feel like stone or rock. Keefe tensed beside her as she slowly reached down with her free hand and touched it.

She had to bite back her scream.