Chapter 13 - EtherBuds and Bloody Gobsmackers

Autumn neared a small corridor that veered sharply to the left. Peeking her head around the corner, she spotted a short man with his back facing her who was wearing a long blue jumpsuit. Assuming he was a janitor, she slowly crept up to him, wrapping an arm around his neck. Her other hand snaked up around his mouth, muffling his yelps. When he finally passed out and slumped to the ground, she dragged him into the small closet that was by them. She took his jumper and ID tag and put them on, then stuck her head out the doorway.

With her pistol tucked snugly in her boot, she grabbed the maintenance cart and made her way through a brightly lit hallway. Walking swiftly through the bright area, she came across a door that was quite different from the rest she saw. Unlike the plain metal doors she previously encountered, this one looked like some sort of crystal, it's facets sparkling in the light. She pushed the door open, intrigued, finding that it was unlocked, and faced an intersection of five different passageways.

-----🌏-----

The B.A.W.W.E Headquarters is a labyrinth of lefts and rights, ups and downs, and forwards and backs. I mean, this thing is enormous! I believe this was an intentional plan so intruders, much like Hunter and Autumn, would be confused. Theon, at this point was in the absolute middle of the headquarters, but was ten stories underground. And also at this point, I was praying for the kids. And that's funny because, you know, I would be praying to myself. You know because I'm a...never mind, let me just continue on with the story.

-----🌏-----

Hunter's mud-covered sneakers shrieked noisily along the shining glass floor. His whistling tune filled the chemical-rich air with deep pitches. He couldn't be bothered with the whole sneaky part of the plan.

He strode into the first door he found, looking for his fluffy friend. The door was shaped like a rectangle, its metal front gleaming in the bright light of the hallway. Its hinges looked rusty and worn, quite different from the futuristic style of the building. As he strode through the doorway, he found a skinny man with dark brown hair, wearing a grey suit.

"Hey, can I have those EtherBuds?" Hunter asked, casually strolling about the room while discreetly checking for guns and other weapons.

"Um, and who are you? Wait...aren't you that-" The man was cut off by a quick jab to the jaw, the cracking sound telling Hunter it was most likely broken, as he watched the stout man slump slowly towards the ground. Hunter knelt down before him, smirking to himself. "You didn't give me those EtherBuds, bro," he whispered. Collecting the expensive plastic, he placed them in his ears, surprised that his favorite song was playing through the tiny speakers.

-----🌏-----

Autumn slowly crept through the middle passage, constantly glancing behind her shoulder. For about five minutes, she had been following the straight passage, with no sound and no one in sight. She held her breath, counting the seconds. After second 402, she heard a sound, but silence returned quickly after. Around second 975, she heard the sound again, but louder and more prominent this time. Being especially circumspect, Autumn stalked slowly towards the source of these sounds. She followed the sound before finally reaching another crystal door. Once noticing that the door was slightly ajar, she put her eye up to the crack.

She saw two middle aged men dressed in dark blue uniforms. The way they stood showed that they were important, and they both held a prominent presence. Autumn straightened, pushed her cart away, and tucked her hair behind her ear, trying to get a closer look at the men. She was still struggling to make out their figures when she heard a glimpse of what they were conversing about.

"...that bloody bastard's too dodgy for my liking," the man on the left was saying.

The other man replied, "We're supposed to be attacking Mortemirian troops in a fortnight. I was bloody gobsmacked!"

"I want to get out of 'ere as soon as I can. I have a wife and kids. The hell does he expect us to not want to be with our families!"

Autumn turned away, her back to the doorway. She stood there for a couple of seconds, processing what she heard when she was struck with an ingenious idea.

Mustering up all her courage, she turned to face the door once again and pushed it open.

"'Bloody bastard,' huh?" she said coyly. "You must be speaking of the one and only Caldwell, I suppose?"

The two men quickly turned around, surprised by the eavesdropper.

Autumn, seeing that she had their attention, continued. "Yes, I did in fact hear everything. And don't try to deny it," she added when she saw one of the men start to speak.

"Please don't tell!" cried out the other man. "Please! I beg you! I didn't mean anything I swear I-"

"Ah, ah, ah, ah," Autumn chided. "I won't tell. I promise. But I think I can help you."

EtherBuds...sounds a whole lot like airpods huh? What a weird coincidence...

How do you guys like it so far? Let me know!