Black Lives Matter

Hello, everyone. I'm sorry it has taken me so long to post an announcement regarding this. I have been actively staying informed and using my other social media platforms for this issue, trying to keep others informed as well, but I forgot that my largest platform is this one here. As I'm sure some of you have noticed, I've taken a small break from Wattpad as school has become too overwhelming, but this needs to be said.

This is about the murder of George Floyd, but it is also about the countless other murders of black citizens, all by the hand of the police, the very people we are supposed to trust, and who are supposed to protect us. I am absolutely horrified by everything that has happened, and by everything that is continuing to happen. Writing is a very large part of my life, but right now I am at an utter loss for words. I fear that whatever I say won't be adequate for this situation.

I know what is happening is making people uncomfortable, but we should be. People are dying. They are being murdered. Just because of the colour of their skin. We can't ignore this. 

(However I also understand that sometimes everything is just too much, and it is perfectly okay to take a break if you need to, but please, stay informed.)

Black Lives Matter.

It chills me to the bone what is happening around me, and at this point, it isn't enough to be "not racist". We must be actively anti-racist. It starts at your own home and with yourself too. These prejudices have been built into our society for so long, and it isn't enough to just not make racist remarks to others. That's just being a decent human being. We need to take the next step. Be anti-racist. If you hear someone make a racist comment, call them out on it. I don't care if they are your parent, friend, whatever. Don't stay silent. 

"No one is born hating another person because of the colour of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite."-Nelson Mandela

The following lists below are not my own words, but they are things that you can do that I have found on social media that I thought I should share here. All credit goes to those individuals.

Here are very simple ways to be a good ally from Girlboss on Instagram.
"- Amplify marginalized voices, but do not speak for or over them.
- Be aware of your white privilege, do not ignore it (obviously this applies for those with white privilege, you get it)
- Express your support and solidarity, but do not make it about you.
- Accept feedback and personal growth, but do not get defensive."

These are 10 Simple Ways White People Can Step Up to Fight Everyday Racism by privtoprog on Instagram
"1. Listen when people of colour talk about everyday racism and white privilege.
2. Honour the feelings of people of colour in the discussion. It is not about your white guilt.
3. Ask plenty of questions. Earnestly seek to understand people of colour before trying to have your viewpoint understood.
4. Educate yourself about racism as much as possible before asking people of colour for help.
5. Challenge other white people in your life to think critically about racism -- family, friends, coworkers, teachers and even public officials.
6. Direct peers towards the perspectives of people of colour. Becoming a "saviour" is not cool.
7. Avoid conflating other oppressions with racism unless it's directly relevant to the conversation.
8. If you make a mistake, ask people of colour how you can fix it.
9. Adopt intersectionality as an approach to all aspects of everyday life and start taking it seriously.
10. Openly call out and reject any and all white privilege you witness or experience."

How To Be Actively Anti-Racist by goodgoodgoodco on Instagram
"- Understand white supremacy occurs both overtly and covertly
- Follow these organizations doing important work surrounding racial equity and justice: Antiracist Research & Policy Center; Audre Lorde Project; Black Women's Blueprint; Color of Change; Colorlines; The Conscience Kid; Equal Justice Initiative (EJI); Families Belong Together; The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights; Muslim Girl; MPowerChange; NAACP; National Domestic Workers Alliance; RAICES; Showing Up for Racial Justice (SURJ); SisterSong; United We Dream
- Watch these films and shows that creatively dive into racism, past and present: 13th (Netflix); American Son (Netflix); Dear White People (Netflix); See You Yesterday (Netflix); When They See Us (Netflix); If Beale Street Could Talk (Hulu); The Hate U Give (Hulu); Black Power Mixtape: 1967-1975 (Rent); Clemency (Rent); Fruitvale Station (Rent); I Am Not Your Negro (Rent); Just Mercy (Rent); Selma (Rent); The Black Panthers (Rent)"

Ways You Can Help:
-Sign this petition: https://www.change.org/p/change-org-the-minneapolis-police-officers-to-be-charged-for-murder-after-killing-innocent-black-man
-Text "FLOYD" to 55156 and/or text "JUSTICE" to 668366 (from kehlani on Instagram)
-Donate if you can.
-Contact Minneapolis District Attorney, Mike Freeman, to demand justice for George Floyd: 612-348-5550 (from kehlani on Instagram)
- "Hi, my name is _____ from ______ and I am calling on behalf of George Floyd and the injustice that he faced. I demand those four officers to be arrested because being fired is not enough."(612) 324-4499
(from gideonadlon on Instagram)
-There are many other ways to help, these are just a few examples I have found.

I should probably note that I'm not sure how many of these are (still) accurate. From what I've checked, they seem to be, but I would still double check for yourselves. Please let me know if any of this information is inaccurate so that I can remove it. Hopefully this information is useful. I deeply wish that there was more for me to say. 

Please do not stay silent about this. No matter how small, we all need to do something.

Black Lives Matter