Chapter Four: Knife And Pan

Over the course of the next couple of days, several things happened. Firstly, Haruna officially decided that she would be going to the competition to watch Kanako. Second, Chiyo heard about the competition and decided she wanted to go too. Lastly, it was found out by Haruna that Akio would also be going. When asked about it, he simply answered, "Of course I'd go. Kana-chan's my friend after all." That was what he had said, but Haruna got the feeling there was more to it than that.

Finally, the day of competition had arrived and the cooking club had left for the place it was being hosted at. While they made their way there, Haruna and Chiyo sat on the roof eating lunch like always. "I'm surprised they left so early. I know she said it would take all day, but still," Haruna commented. "Hm? Haru-chi, you know it's not here in Iwanai right?" Chiyo said. "Huh?"

"It's in Sapporo."

"SAPPORO?!" Haruna shouted. "Kana-chan didn't tell you?" Chiyo asked. "No, that was a detail she failed to mention..." Haruna said through gritted teeth. Chiyo laughed. "An hour and a half in the car with you and Akio-kun. This should be fun!" Haruna sighed. "I don't know what will be fun about that..."

When it had been determined who was going, transportation had been arranged as follows: Kanako and her fellow cooking club members would be driven to the competition by Miss Yuki-nin with a school-provided rental car. However, students were free to go home with their parents after the competition ended. With Kanako at least having a ride there, it was decided that since Akio, Chiyo and Haruna were all going, they could just ride together with Kanako's parents. Haruna hadn't particularly wanted to go with that plan, but with no other viable options available, she had reluctantly agreed.

If it had just been her and Chiyo, it probably would've been fine, but Haruna had her concerns about Akio. "I feel like he's going to try to get under my skin somehow," she thought. There was another worry as well. "Will I be okay being that close to the boy I like for that long?" Haruna wondered. Being trapped in a car with your crush was bound to make things uncomfortable somehow.

Knowing there was nothing that could be done about it, Haruna resigned herself to her fate and continued eating her lunch. When the bell rang, Chiyo and Haruna began heading back to class, but it was then that a thought occurred to her. "Hey, if we have to go all the way to Sapporo, won't the competition practically be over?" Haruna asked. "Hmmm. I don't know! I asked Mi-chan about it, and it sounded like it lasts alllll day and night, so it'll probs be fine!" Chiyo answered. Haruna remembered Kanako saying something similar before, then: "Wait, Fukuhara-san actually talked to you?" she said with some disbelief. "Mhm! Well, I guess it was more like, she answered me to get rid of me, but that's progress!" Chiyo said optimistically. "I don't understand why you want to be friends with her," Haruna scoffed. Chiyo smiled. "I think... I kinda relate to her..." "What's that supposed to mean?" Haruna asked, but Chiyo skipped ahead. "Don't wanna be laaaate!" "...Weirdo."

The rest of the day flew by, and before Haruna knew it, the clock read 3:00 p.m. By the time she'd get to the competition, it would probably be past 4:30. Grabbing her things, Haruna and Chiyo made their way to the front gate to wait for Kanako's parents to pick them up. Already standing there was a boy they were both familiar with.

"Hey there," he said with a smile and a wave. "H-Hey, Miyashita-kun," Haruna said. "Hiya!" Chiyo greeted him happily.

The boy before them was none other than Akio Miyashita, the person indirectly responsible for a lot of the turmoil that had occurred in Haruna's life recently. He was of average height and had slightly messy brown hair, along with hazel-colored eyes. There was nothing exactly handsome about him, but he was by no means ugly either. Currently, he was wearing the school uniform, which for him meant wearing light grey dress pants with a white shirt. To indicate he was a second year student just like Haruna and Chiyo, he was wearing a green tie, though out of all the guys in the school, he fell into the minority for putting it on, as, unlike the bow for girls, wearing the tie was optional.