Chapter Ten: A Night And A New Divide

Shortly after the end of the term, a group text involving the four girls was used to nail down the details of their sleepover. Firstly, even though Itsuki had been the one to suggest it, she wanted it to be at Mayu's house. This naturally drew a lot of flak from Michi, who was quick to point out that Itsuki should be the one hosting because it was her idea. However, before things could get really heated, Mayu stepped in and assured the group that it would be fine if they spent the night at her house.

The decision was made that the event in question would take place a week from the day of their discussion. Itsuki was quick to show her excitement and while Mayu was generally composed, it was clear that she seemed to be looking forward to it as well. And, for as much as she had pointed out the problems more than offering to help, even Michi showed some level of anticipation.

While three of the four girls were simply counting down the days, the one that wasn't was instead thinking about other matters. With her parents at work, Kanako sat alone in the living room of her house, the TV on only for background noise, as the current program airing was an infomercial about new cookware. Kanako was lost in thought, wondering and worrying about what she was going to do about the predicament she found herself in.

Going into summer break without fixing things with Haruna had left Kanako with a great sense of unease. The term had ended, and with it, the chances of her being able to do much of anything to undo the damage that had been done. Sure, they were next door neighbors, but to Kanako, the borderline of their property might as well have been an insurmountable wall. In the time that their deal had been in place, the two girls had only done anything akin to "hanging out" at each other's homes once or twice. Putting that on top of the awkwardness already in place, and Kanako felt that it would be very uncomfortable to just go over to Haruna's house and act like nothing was wrong.

"Besides, what would I even say? 'Hey, sorry for wanting to know something about you?' No, that's not right. What about, 'Let's shake on it and let bygones be bygones!" Kanako paused. "...That's so corny..." she sighed tremendously. "But still... shouldn't I at least try?" Kanako knew that, and yet she didn't move from where she sat. Something kept telling her that if she didn't have the right words, it would all be pointless. "Knowing my luck, I'd probably just make things worse..."

Of course, trying to get back on good terms with Haruna wasn't the only objective. Kanako thought that if the two of them didn't do something couple-like together soon, the deal they had with Akio would be off. "He hasn't said anything like that as far as I know, but it still feels like a real possibility," the girl thought. Trapped in turmoil, Kanako only sank lower into the couch.

The time between then and the day of the sleepover was filled with nothing but worry and wondering for Kanako. When the day finally arrived, she discovered she had been so out of it that she hadn't even packed her bags yet. "Oh no!" Kanako exclaimed. "And Mi-chan is going to be here in an hour!" It had been decided in the same previous group discussion that Michi would give Kanako a ride and Itsuki would get one from her own parents, especially considering how much closer she was to Mayu's residence than the other two girls. They weren't neighbors per say, but it was about as close as you could get.

Luckily, by the time Michi arrived, Kanako had managed to throw together a few outfits and grab her necessities. "Ready to go?" Michi asked. "...Yeah..." Kanako said between heavy breaths from rushing around. Michi looked confused, but she ignored it and the two of them headed outside to get into Michi's car.

For a moment, Kanako stopped. "Huh? Did you get a new car?" she asked. "What? Of course not. This is just a rental service," Michi explained plainly. Before them parked on the side of the street was a sleek black, four-door sedan that appeared to be a little longer than the average vehicle. Not quite a limo, but definitely not standard. On the hood was a silver ornament displaying the logo of the car manufacturer. Standing outside was a gentleman in a suit. He didn't look imposing by any means, but it was clear he was there for business. At the sight of the two girls approaching him, he had moved to open the doors to the backseat.