Chapter 2

I squirmed around desperately with my face buried deep in the snow.

The sole reason I've lasted this long is due to the Delde blood that runs through my veins.

If it were any other normal child, they would've died on the spot due to suffocation a long time ago.

But if I don't succeed in manifesting my abilities soon, there's no doubt that I would die.

As proof of that, my breathing was already growing rapid and shallow.

"Mmph!"

Every time I took a breath, snow made its way into my nostrils.

In an act of desperation to break free from this situation, I clenched my muscles and forced out the strength I had been containing within me, but it didn't work out as smoothly as I had hoped.

If I can't even turn myself over, why am I even alive? But I didn't have the leisure to think about it, I need to catch my breath first.

Wanting to grasp onto the last thread of hope in me, I gathered up all the strength that I had.

I writhed in the snow, making countless useless attempts to turn over.

I squeezed out so much of my strength that all my blood rushed up to my head, causing my small face to turn red.

'I want to live.'

That primitive desire to live began to bubble up within me.

There wasn't an exact reason behind it. It was simply a survival instinct I was born with.

While I flailed in the snow, somewhere, the sound of footsteps drew nearer.

Thud.

Thud.

When those heavy footsteps finally reached me, I was already gasping my last few breaths.

I could really die here like this. I didn't even have the strength to struggle anymore at this point.

The owner of the footsteps swiftly lifted me up. With their help, I was finally allowed to breathe normally.

They stared at me intently with his blue eyes as I took violent gulps of air.

"Oh? It's a baby."

His voice was nonchalant and indifferent.

His intent gaze slowly traveled down my body, inspecting me, exactly like the people in the Delde clan.

He was no different.

It wouldn't be a surprise if he simply put me back on the ground and left.

He looked like that kind of insensitive person. It seemed that with his dull, hollow eyes, he saw the world as a colorless place.

In his eyes, I was nothing.

As I was penetrated by his cold-hearted gaze, the thought of the Delde family popped into my head.

I remembered the ones who looked at me as though they were criticizing me, and my ruthless father who abandoned me.

The memories of being tossed off that cliff swarmed my head and I shuddered.

The feeling of endlessly falling down an abyss.

Being thrown into an empty void with nothing to grab onto, with only death awaiting me.

That very moment.

My body stiffened as I remembered those frightening memories.

But I can't stay like this. If this man abandons me here and leaves, who knows how long it'll take until another person comes to a place as desolate and cold as this.