twenty.

╔═══*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*═══╗

𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲: 𝐜𝐥𝐚𝐢𝐫𝐯𝐨𝐲𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞

╚═══*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*═══╝

Maddie had a hunch.

As she continued to paint on the canvas, she couldn't help but feel a bundle of emotions. She had called in sick that day because her headache was too much to handle that JJ's Tiger Balm couldn't work it's magic. Luckily, her boss was more than understanding. The architect turned away from her work for awhile to focus her attention on the different shades of blue splayed out in front of her.

She loved and missed painting.

Right now, Maddie wasn't sure what or who she was trying to bring to life in her canvas. Usually, she would paint buildings and landscapes. Painting portraits of people usually happened when she had vivid dreams of them.

She stirred the paintbrush in her hand, hoping that the shades of blue──steel & baby blue──would make a color that resembled her husband's eyes.

"What are you doing inside my head, huh?" Maddie joked to herself and the portrait in front of her that seemed like a younger version of Kelly only with her brown skin tone.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

She was startled by the slam of the door and booming voices.

As the voices continued to argue, Maddie recognized that they belonged to the lieutenants of Firehouse 51. Grumbling, she slipped out of bed and rubbed the sleep out of her eyes. She stood by the stairs where she had a perfect view of the two men arguing from below.

"Did you even check his story?" Matt pressed, glaring at his friend.

Kelly rolled his eyes. "No, I didn't check his story!" He fired back, "I take him by his word."

"There it is! The Gospel according to Severide."

"You know what, Casey? Go screw yourse──"

"Hey!" Maddie yelled, a scowl on her face. "Would you two just shut up?! It's one in the morning for Christ's sake!"

Matt rubbed his face, embarrassed. "Sorry, Maddie. It won't happen again."

"It better not. Matt, go to your room. You're still welcome here. And you," Maddie narrowed her eyes at her husband, "Wash up before you get in bed. You owe me cuddles for waking me up at this hour."

In under twenty minutes, Kelly had joined his wife on their bed──wrapping his arms around her frame and snuggling her closer to him like it was basic instinct.