Chapter Two

My feet met the final steps of the ladder when the boys gathered around the lift. It's like an elevator that goes deep into the ground. We have no idea where it leads to, all we know is that it brings us new supplies every week and a newbie once a month. We've tried escaping through it by going back down. Let's just say it didn't end well for the boy who volunteered. 

I was still running towards the lift when I could hear the trap doors screech open. Gally waved for me to come over then jumped into the elevator to greet the new kid. I hoped he'd keep up his end of the bargain, but knowing him, he probably wouldn't. I was only a few feet behind the crowd now. I pushed my way through their mockery and looked down at the new kid who tried to climb up.

"What do you think Marty?" Gally asked as he crept up behind me, placing a hand on my shoulder. 

The boy made his way out of the lift and staggered around the ground. His eyes hadn't adjusted to the light yet and his hair was drenched with sweat. The boys laughed as he panicked and formed a circle around the poor kid.

"Guys c'mon let the kid breathe!" I yelled. The boys called me a killjoy but I still thought it was rude to mock a kid like this. They'd all been in his shoes before. I looked around for Newt and made my way over to him, "Can't you do something? Poor greenie looks like he's gonna have a heart attack." 

The lean boy shrugged, "He'll be fine in a minute. We all go through this, remember?" 

I scoffed and folded my arms continuing to watch the suffering greenie. He fumbled around with his legs like a new born deer and eventually stood up. He broke through the circle and started to sprint across the Glade. I felt bad, he didn't realize that there was no where to go. He kept running to nowhere in particular and his legs intertwined with each other, sending him plummeting to the ground. The audience roared even louder and I joined in so they wouldn't think I was persnickety. A few of us, including the Med-Jacks ran over to him. We always stayed near the newbies a couple hours after they arrive to make sure they didn't pass out or worse. The greenie had gotten up and the Gladers were just recovering from their howling.
Green bean was looking around, astonished by the gargantuas ivy walls that tower over us. He looked like he was trying to figure where he was. 

I ran over keeping back a few feet, "Hey! Everything alright?" A stupid question for me to ask.

"Where the hell am I?" He asked.

I sighed, a little tired from running after him, "We'll answer that later. Do you feel dizzy? Faint? Nauseous? Anything?"

"Y-yeah, I-I guess." He was completely out of it. 

I was about to ask him more or take him to the Med Shack, get him some water. But of course some of the other Gladers came over and shoved him away into the pit where we put Gladers in as punishment. It's a little stone ditch and has a cage-like top sticking up from the ground. I watched as two boys took greenie's arms and carried him off. Gally jogged over and stood by me.

"Why are they always so hysterical." Gally said, asking the second stupidest question of the day. 

I turned to him, "Why do you think, shank? They're thrown into this hell hole, and it doesn't help when you scorn them." 

"Jeez. You're no fun Marty." He said,"Wanna help me get ready for tonight? I'm making my secret recipe." He nudged.

I jokingly rolled my eyes and accepted the offer. Gally and I walked over to the common area, where most of the Gladers hung around if we weren't working. The pit wasn't too far from it, and most of the hammocks were we usually slept were stationed there.