Chapter Fifteen

Minho and I had the mutual feeling of pure terror. The gates hadn't triggered their rumbles to signal that they were closing. I dropped my basket and sprinted as fast as I could with Minho to warn the boys. 

The realization of the situation had just started to make it's way into my consciousness. Panic was crawling up my skin and settling in, "Hey!" I screamed, waving an arm in the air. All the Gladers froze and looked up at Minho and I who came charging toward them, "The gates!" I shrieked, the air was torn out of my lungs. Some of them stared at us confused while others stood up quick and looked towards the structure that we had once trusted to protect us. 

I didn't stop running until I had fallen into Gally's arms which I didn't even realize I was heading for, "They're not closing! They're not closing!!" I hyperventilated in his clasp. I didn't believe it, I couldn't believe it. It was all a mistake, they would shut soon, they had to. A hot rumble rose to the back of my throat. I wanted to crawl out of my skin and avoid the torture of my own mind against me. 

Gally held me tight and spoke to me carefully, "Marty, follow me. You'll be safe." I trembled like a tea kettle preparing to explode, anxiety boiled inside me and wanted to release. He walked me over to a large group that stood in front of the main entrance. We stayed at the back of the group were I couldn't face the dark corridor of the maze that taunted me. Some boys with torches ran over to the scene. There were too many people. Too crowded. I couldn't breath. 

A deep angry roar sounded from behind us. The sound made it's way across the Glade as we all covered our ears in pain. The rusty gears clicked as the ancient vines that were once stretched across the opening snapped in half. All the birds that sat peacefully in the Deadheads took of. I wished to be one of them more then ever. The birds mocked us as they flew away, free - while we were trapped like mice in a sick game. The deafening sound repeated itself, once at the East wall and again in the West.

I gripped Gally tighter, barely processing what had been going on. My thoughts fought against each other for attention, screaming over top of one another. I could not stop the spiralling, hot sensation in the pit of my stomach. Each shallow inhale was sharp like a knife to my lungs. My body could barely keep up with my fast paced breathing. Someone mumbled orders in the distance, but every horrifying thought drowned it out. 

Gally spun me around to face him and he gripped my arms tightly, "Marty listen, you're gonna go to the forest-"

"I can't, I can't!" I breathed through every word.

"You're going to go to the forest!" he repeated strictly, "You're going to hide. Do whatever you can. I'll find you later. I promise." Gally let me go, then shouted orders at the group. I barely comprehended his instructions with the blood pulsing in my ears. I couldn't leave him behind, not again. I wouldn't lose him a third time, "Go!" he shouted. 

My feet finally carried me as I pushed through the group. My heart started to beat frantically as I sprinted for the woods. I heard my breaths enter my throat and travel through my lungs. A familiar piercing shot through my feet and up my leg. My nightmares had come back. I was reliving them, and this time I wouldn't be woken up. 

Panic trembled in my already exhausted limbs. A flash of the maze wall's vines surrounded me, then vanished and I was back in the Glade. I can't let this happen, not now. I needed to survive. As my feet came across the sound of the Deadhead's crunching leaves, multiple shouts of terror came from one of the freshly opened gates. A fleshy metal screech followed after. 

They were here. They were ready to finish me off.