Chapter Eighteen

The sun was still high in the sky as Gally and his devotees were setting up the sacrifice. It was chilling to see them organising it like it was an ordinary task. I stopped a few feet away from the boys and surely enough, caught Gally's attention. I waved for him to come over. My heart ached, knowing he probably wouldn't trust me again after this.

He jogged over to me, a little suspicious of my actions, "Can I see you for a second?" I asked softly. I glanced behind him at the group of boys who started to dismiss the scene after Gally left, "...alone?"

He squinted his eyes - curious as to why I was pulling him aside. I took him by the hand and giddily lead him across the Glade and away from the entrance of the maze where the banishment was going to be held. I hoped Newt and the others were sticking to the plan.

I brought Gally underneath the Lookout which had endured the griever attack. It was shady under the structure and was private enough for us.

"Why'd you bring me here?" he questioned with a hint of excitement.

I ran my hands up his bulky arms and wrapped my hands around his neck, "I just wanted to have you to myself." Any other time I would've basked in this moment, but right now I only felt sick to my stomach.

Gally took my waist and spun me around, gently pushing my back up against the trunk of the lookout. He leaned closer then placed his lips against mine. I wanted it to feel passionate - however, knowing the reasoning behind this moment spoiled everything. He could sense it too, I knew it.

Gally pulled away and disheartenment swept across his face, "What's wrong?" He asked exactly what I was afraid of.

I brushed my hand around the back of his hair and down his neck, "Nothing." I hushed and forced my lips back onto his.

He didn't kiss me back and retreated once again, "Marty what is it."

I huffed and let go of him, "It's just...you've been strange lately. You just haven't been yourself." I explained. I thought he deserved some honestly before he found out I'd betrayed him.

"I'm fine." He pouted, "Thomas and the girl will be gone soon, and everything will be back to normal." The way he spoke scared me. It was like he was possessed by some other mindset.

"Gally, there is no normal anymore." I told him. Before he could let out what he wanted to say, a chorus of shouting came from afar. We both looked in the direction of the noise where a fight was going down between the rebels and Gally's accomplices. He glared at me with hundreds of emotions piercing through his eyes. Sadness, dubiety, anger, I felt it all radiating off of him. He took off without saying anything and sprinted towards the scene. I cleared the tears that attempted to stream down my face. I didn't want this to happen, I hoped he understood that.

Thomas, Newt, Minho, Chuck, Teresa and a few other Gladers stood with their backs facing the maze while their opponents stood defenceless.

"What the hell is going on?!" Gally shouted as we caught up to the chaos.

Thomas and a few of the others held poles and other weapons in their hands, "You don't have to come with us, but we are leaving." Thomas said.

Gally turned to me with that same disheartened face, "Were you in on this Marty." My body froze and started to tremble. I didn't respond him, which made me just as guilty as saying yes.

"Anyone else who wants to come nows your last chance," Thomas spoke up, "I get it you're scared, I'm scared. But I'd rather risk my life out there than spending it in here. This place isn't our home, we were put here. But at least out there we have a choice. We will make it out of here." Some of the boys behind us joined Thomas, but I stayed put by Gally's side, "Gally...come with us." Thomas lowered his staff.