Chapter Nine

The morning dew dampened the back of my aching throat. I had woken up again but at a more reasonable time. Shadows from the leaves danced around on the forest floor. The sky hadn't changed, it was melancholy with me.

I stiffly sat up, my grieving thoughts begging me to stay in place. Somewhere in the trees another bird greeted me with a 'good morning' song. The gesture put a little smile on my face and motivated me to get up. I brushed off the dirt from my legs and stretched. My eyes still felt puffy from last night and wanted to keep crying, but I wouldn't allow it.

As I bent down to tie the lace of my shoe, something had caught my eye. Not too far in the distance, I recognized the lower limb of the bow I'd hidden a few days ago stick out from it's burrow. I panicked as I prayed no one else had seen it over the past few days. I quickly headed towards it and grabbed it, cleaning off all the dirt and muck. The sun hadn't yet peeked over the walls yet, so I thought I had some time. My exhausted legs carried me through the forest as fast as they could as I felt the blow try to slip out of my clammy hands. My heart felt weak after only running a few minutes and meeting the mapping hut. I stopped to catch my breath and dug for the key inside of my pocket. I didn't expect any runners to come into the map room anyway, they'd all be too busy anxiously waiting at the gates...the gates! I was too caught up in returning the bow that I had a break from grieving Gally. I wouldn't let myslef  fully succumb to my sorrow just yet, not until the gates opened this morning. I needed to be there the moment they peeled open so I threw the bow back in its place then slammed the door behind me.

I started jogging through the Deadheads passing by dozens of blackbirds that cheered me on. The snapping of twigs began to grow more rapid as I quickened my pace. I exploded out of the trees to see only a couple of boys start to walk towards the gates. My heart throbbed inside my chest with empty hope and despair. I wasn't too far away when I saw the gates start to reel open in front of me. No one else waited at the gates yet, it was just me.

I wheezed as my burning lungs gasped for air. My stomach spun in circles, igniting heat throughout my core. The doors were halfway open and still no sign of the boys appeared. A couple of gladers had caught up to me when I heard their footsteps creep up behind me. I kept my eyes on the maze straight in front of me and I wouldn't let go until I saw Gally.

The maze was fully exposed now. We all looked around in anticipation, but there was nothing. Some boys decided to give up and I heard them leave and head back to work. Chuck ran up beside me. He was so small compared to me, I wanted to hold him and tell him I'd never let him go. I'd never let Newt hurt him like he did to Gally. But Chuck likes Newt more, I can tell. Everyone looks up to him first.

A soft British voice came from behind me, "Anything Chuck?" I wanted to spin around and punch him right then and there. If he wanted to break the rules he should've gone into the maze and sacrificed himself. A fist formed in my knuckles but I let it go.

I felt his presence slip beside me and Chuck, "I told you, they're not coming back." Newt gently took Chuck by the shoulder and turned him to walk away. I couldn't contain my anger anymore. I stormed after Newt and shoved him from behind with all my rage.

He stumbled forwards and turned to face me, my fist meeting his face the second he did, "It's your shucking fault!!!" I screamed at him, my throat cracking between words, "You killed him!!! You killed all of them-" Before I could land another punch on his swollen face, a series of footsteps travelled behind me. I lowered my fist and prayed it wasn't just my imagination.

Every part of my body paused as my thoughts tried to catch up, "Marty!" the tallest boy screamed, sprinting around the corner of the maze. A wave of cold brushed over me as he ran closer and closer towards me.