Chapter Six

A chill struck the air when we heard another one of Ben's screams through the Homestead walls. Alby had called a meeting to discuss what would happen to Ben, even though we all knew what the final decision would be. Some of Ben's friends begged to keep him in the pit, just until the serum came up with a new Greenie next month. Seeing as Thomas came up without anything, I doubt the next person will have any medication either. Alby told me he only called on the meeting to make Ben's friends feel better, hope is a big thing here in the Glade.

It felt like all of the Gladers in the room were staring at each other all at once. We shared the same goosebumps on our backs.

One of Ben's friends, Stan, stood and broke the tension in the room, "Can we please just keep him in the pit for now?" he begged, "Maybe Marty can m-make some remedy of something." His voice cracked and barely hung on to every word.

I couldn't stand everyone's eyes on me. I felt like an animal being scrutinized behind a glass window, waiting for me to move. I spoke to the desperate boy as gently as possible, "Trust me, I've tried before. I'm sorry...only the serum works."

Stan's entire face grew red, "Alby, what if we just waited? Kept him in-." The small group of boys around him grabbed him and sat him back down, before things got out of hand.

"That's enough Stan." Alby said, crossing his arms and turning away from him.

"Please! We can-"

Alby snapped at the boy, "I said that's enough!" Stan finally got the message that the conversation was over, "Everyone go back to work, ignore Ben no matter how much he begs. The keepers will stay back and make the final decision." Alby turned to face the back wall and kept his eyes on his feet. I watched as the Gladers left, and only 12 remained. We all got up and stood in a half circle around Alby. The decision would be easy for some more than others.

"Alright," Alby started, "I guess the choice is pretty clear. But I don't know, maybe one of you shanks were all choked up from Stan's speech and changed your minds." We went around the circle, starting with Zart, keeper of the track-hoes then to Frypan and eventually made it's way to Gally, just before me.

Gally glanced over at me first, before giving his answer. I wanted to tell him that I wouldn't take it personally if he wanted to banish Ben. That it wasn't his job to make sure I'd be okay with it, I had to deal with those feelings myself. Gally was comforted by order and sticking to the rules, and for the most part I agreed with him. They keep us safe and it's how we've survived for so long, but I knew he wouldn't give Ben a second chance. He wasn't on the same page as me and would probably never understand.

The tall builder took a breath before answering, "I say banish him. It's what's best for the Glade." Although it wasn't his fault, I couldn't help but feel slightly stung by his answer.

Alby nodded to him then finally turned to me, "Marty?"

     My hands gripped tighter around my crossed arms. Once again everyone's eyes were focused on me, my insides recoiled at the feeling. I took a breath in and relaxed my hands a bit, "You know I can't answer that. Not after what he did for me."

Although the council's final judgement was obvious, I couldn't stay in the room to hear it. I turned and left, not making eye contact with anyone in the room. As I reached for the door to the Homestead I heard a set of boots clunk behind me. I assumed it was Gally, but I didn't want to be comforted. For the first time, I didn't want to be held in his arms and be told that everything would be okay. Usually, I would hope in my head that he would follow me and make me feel like that nothing negative would get to me unless it got through him. But he couldn't guard me if the problem was already planted inside of my own head.