Chapter Eleven

It had been a few hours since the girl had come up in the box. It felt strange seeing another girl along here with me. I almost felt jealous. I had always been the only girl in the glade, and the only girl any of the boys would come to know. It had been my thing. I just had that little piece that made me unique amongst the rest of the boys, but now there were two.

However, another part of me was also excited to have another girl around. To be fair, not all of my interests matched the boys and some topics I just wasn't able to talk about with them. I don't remember having any friends before being sent up, but who knows, maybe her and I will get along. 

Thinking about her waking up sent that same trembling feeling formed in my stomach. I couldn't worry about her being a good friend or not. She's the very last one, her very existence could be catastrophic, yet I'm worrying if she'll make friendship bracelets with me or not. I decided I couldn't put any more attention towards the girl anymore and went to the other end of the med hut to check on Alby. 

The sight of him in such grave condition unsettled my stomach. As I observed him struggle against the restraints, I wasn't sure if I should try and help him or let him be. His reaction to anything I do is extremely unpredictable. A bead of sweat trickled down the side of his forehead. Carefully, I took a cool cloth that sat in a bowl of water and wiped the sweat away. He didn't seem to have much of a reaction so I continued in my attempts to comfort him. The way he jolted every now and then made me wonder if that's how I looked when I was constrained to my nightmares. I wanted to know if visions poisoned his memory like mine did, or if he was just ill. Unfortunately, I had the privilege of my nightmares being cut off by Gally waking me up in the night. My episodes were only illusions my mind created to scare me, Alby's were real. I jumped back in my seat when Newt, Minho and Thomas had barged into the hut, rattling Alby's peacefulness.

Newt didn't seem to show much sympathy or patience for either convalescent, "Marty, what's wrong? What's the matter with her, why won't she wake up." 

I didn't have the energy to snap back at Newt. With everything else going on, my indignation towards him was disappearing, "Not sure. She hasn't moved since we brought her in here."

"What about Alby?"

"Still holding on." I answered, getting up from my seat and making my way over to the visitors, "I didn't see any serum come up with the girl." 

Everyone paused, taking a moment to observe the sleeping girl. A sense of curiosity flickered in the room, but quickly vanished. Thomas seemed to be watching the girl a little harder than the rest of us.

"Do you recognize her?" Newt asked sternly.

"No." Thomas whimpered.

Newt didn't seem too satisfied with his answer, "Really? Because she seemed to recognize you."

"What about the note?" I blurted out trying to shift the awkward aura. 

Newt had his arms crossed and turned back to me, seemingly annoyed, "We'll worry about the note later. We've got enough to deal with at the moment." 

I didn't want to worry about any more problems. It was all getting too confusing in my mind, like every book was falling off the shelf each time I put it back. The whole time I've been here, I thought about the future and wanted to get out. But now that our small world is slipping through our fingers, I wanted to go back to the first day I came.