Chapter Ten

"Alright!" I called out, trying to get the gladers attention. The boys sat on benches surrounding the inside of the homestead. My voice was drowned out by them arguing over pointless matters.

Gally stood up from leaning against a pole beside me, "Hey, shut it shanks!" He yelled. The entire homestead went ghost-quiet.

I cleared my throat before starting, "These past few days have been strange, I'm sure we're all aware of that." I took a good look around the room to make sure everyone was paying attention, "Ben and Alby got stung in broad daylight, and no serum came up in the box. It's important now more than ever to make sure we follow our rules in place." I stated, glaring over at Newt. "We can't be ordering gladers into the maze when the walls are closing," I looked back at Thomas who's face pointed to the ground, "let alone allow a greenie to feel heroic after running into the maze and kill a griever." 

"Yeah, but he saved Alby's life." Frypan said, defending Thomas and Newt.

Before I could object, Gally stood up from the pole again and did so for me, "Did he?" he snarked. 

Newt cut in between the three of us, "Well you were there with him. Wouldn't you have witnessed it first hand Gally?" Gally's body stiffened up and his rosy cheeks intensified, he wanted to take a swing at Newt. 

Before he got any closer to Newt I stepped in, also offended by his comment. I swallowed the pit of anger in my throat, "You don't get a say in this. You sent Gally in there when you knew damn well it was against our number one rule!" Each word got more intense as my voice gradually rose. I shoved his chest with my finger, doing by best to hold back from attacking him. Gally swiped at one of my arms and cautiously dragged me back from the boy. 

Newt's frown slowly relaxed and his defensive walls lowered, "Fine. You're right, I shouldn't have done it. I thought there'd be more time." His voice grew softer and filled with more sincerity each sentence. My heart told me to forgive him, but I knew it would take a while before I would allow for that to happen. 

I turned back to Thomas who gave me the look of a guilty dog, "I'm not letting you two get out of this easily. You killed a griever, who knows what this could mean for us." An agreeing nod came from Gally and a minority of the other gladers.

 Newt spoke up once again. He was very careful to pay attention to every single word someone spoke, it was almost hard to tell who's side he was on, "What do you suggest we do."

Gally quickly looked at me to make sure we both shared the same thought, "You both should be punished, especially the greenie." Gally said. A riot of booing and objections came from the audience, I guess less people agreed with us than I thought.

 Newt quieted the group when he began to speak, "What'd you think Minho? I mean you were with him when he killed it too." Newt chimed in. 

Minho hid at the edge of the homestead like an ominous figure. I was surprised he hadn't spoken the entire time, "I think, in all the time we've been here, no one's ever killed a griever before." The room was only focused on him, concentrating on every word he spoke, "When I turned tail and ran, this dumb shank stood behind to help Alby. Look, I don't know if he's brave or stupid; but whatever it is we need more of it." Anticipation tugged the air, waiting for Minho's final statement, "I say we make him a runner."

I let out a loud scoff while the rest of the crowd spewed out more questions and quibbles. Gally folded his arms I frustration, while I noticed Newt had let a small grin creep up onto his face, but quickly ebb away as soon as I saw him. Chuck chanted Thomas' name, but no other boys joined him in his celebration. I shot him a speedy glare and he recoiled too. 

Gally finally spoke up, silencing the room, "Look if you wanna throw the newbie a parade that's fine! But if there's one thing I know about the maze it's that you do not-"

A familiar mechanic wail came from outside the homestead. Gally and I looked back at each other in disbelief. We'd only heard the sirens a few days ago, they weren't supposed to sound for another month. The whole group froze, unsure of how to react. Gally didn't shy away from running out of the homestead to see what was happening. Newt and I followed suit, then the rest of the herd followed after. The bright sun stung my eyes after the comfort of the shady homestead. Newt fell behind me, his limp getting in the way. I caught up with Gally at the edge of the elevator. Through the links of the metal cage we saw another kid lifelessly laying at the bottom of the lift. It was only the kid, no supplies cam up with him. His long black hair covered most of his face and his chest failed to rise and fall in breaths. Newt had joined the two of us along with some of the other gladers who filed in. We opened the cage, curious to see who came up in the box so early. Newt jumped into the elevator beside the kid as the other gladers made room for one another to watch in awe. 

Newt brushed the kid's hair out of his face, "It's a girl." he said, looking back up at the group. Most of the boys shot a glance over at me, assuming I somehow had the answers to all their burning questions. I hopped into the lift beside Newt to examine her. She didn't seem to be moving.

"Is she dead?" A puzzled voice asked from above.

I put two fingers to her neck to check for any sign of life, "Nah, she's alive." He breaths were very shallow now, I was almost afraid she wasn't getting enough air. While checking on her, something caught my eye. A small sheet of white paper was curled up in her hand, stained by her clammy palm, "What's in her hand." I pointed out. 

Newt and I shared a confused thought as he reached for her hand and unraveled the note. He took a moment to process it before sharing with the rest of the group, "She's the last one...ever." He slowly squinted back up at the rest of the group above us, the sun glaring in his eyes, "What the hell does that mean?" 

Before anyone has time to consider the girl's strange note, her bright blue eyes shot wide open and her rapid inhaling deepened, "Thomas!" he panted in between her shaky breaths. She didn't give me any time to ask her if she could remember anything because she fell back into her lifeless trance almost immediately. 

No one around us dare spoke. Anxiety tickled at my chest, no other girls had been sent up after me, and I'm sure the creators wouldn't have made the same mistake twice. She was obviously sent her for a reason, but why would she be the last one.
Gally, as usual, broke the unsettling silence, "Still think we're over reacting." He referred to me and him. 

I didn't feel like discussing anyone's punishments anymore. Too much had happened these past few days, it was all too overwheliming. Every thought that formed in my brain wanted to be the centre of attention and shouted at the other ones to be quiet. 

"Med-jacks, get the stretcher." I ordered, starting to feel dizzy myself. 

"Alright everyone, let's get back to work." Newt told the group, trying to diffuse the situation. The med-jacks came back and helped me lift the stiff girl out of the cage and onto the stretcher.

When most of the boys had left the scene, Gally quickly snaked one arm around my waist and walked with me. When we reached the med hut he let go and gave me a worried look, then went back to work.