Chapter Five

The bow trembled in my grasp. The boy underneath Ben released more and more suffering cries for help. 

"Ben!" I screamed before I had time to doubt myself, "Let him go!" 

Ben froze and looked up from his victim, looking around in a daze. There was something in his eyes that didn't seem right. They were pools of black, and blue veins that ran down his neck drained the colour in his face, "Marty?" He met eyes with me and immediately switched from frenzied to desperate, "Marty please! It's him you want to shoot!"

I cut him off before I could listen to his deranged pleas, "Ben, let him go! I swear I'll do it."

"He's not one of us!" Ben screamed. I pulled the arrow further back, ready to let go at any moment, "Listen to me! He's-" Ben's whole body twitched and suddenly he was gone, like he warped into another psyche. His hands lunged at Thomas' neck, restricting him like a snake. Thomas kicked and cried. 

I couldn't watch it any longer. Regret filled my body the second I allowed the arrow to slice through the air and land itself into Ben's leg. He yelled in agony and dropped his hands from Thomas' neck giving him just enough time to escape. My legs went numb as I watched Thomas stagger to his feet and make his escape. Without any caution to it, Ben tore the arrow out of his leg, spewing splatters of blood across the forest floor. In his unnatural state it seemed like he felt no pain. He was too distracted by his prey fleeing to feel the pain. 

I could see Thomas start to run towards the forest clearing where some of the track-hoes had been tending to the garden, Ben followed suit. I was tempted to sprint after him, but remembered the bow in my hand. If any of the boys found out I'd surely be sent to the slammer, or worse, banished if the graders thought my actions were sinful enough. 

I turned back the way I came and ran a few feet before finding a log with a large enough burrow underneath. I looked back to make sure no one had come to the scene before I slid my weapon underneath. I'd have to return it before anyone noticed it was missing. 

I took a shortcut through the Deadheads that I knew would spit me out at the common area near the Med-Hut. The shadows from the trees faded and sunlight infiltrated my surroundings once again. I ran to the Med-Shack where Clint and Jeff were already leaving their station and running towards the commotion down by the gardens. Many other graders followed suit. I tried to blend it with the boys as if I'd been at my required job the entire time. I jogged up beside Clint and Jeff and asked what had happened.

"Not sure," Clint said, jogging along side me, "Where were you anyway? You weren't in the Med-Hut with us." 

I tried to come up with a quick exchange, "I was in the Lookout," the two of them looked at me confused, "another nightmare." I answered. Most, if not all of the boys knew about my visions. Sometimes in the middle of the day, something would trigger them, like the smell of blood wafting over from the Slaughterhouse. I'd freeze up and panic would set in shortly after. It wasn't uncommon for Gally to drop what he was doing and race over to help me. I never liked causing a scene, but it's pretty hard to ignore when there's a hysterical girl in the Glade screaming bloody murder. 

We met up with the rest of the group by the garden, where Gally, Newt and a few other boys pinned Ben to the ground, just barely able to keep him steady. Ben slashed around, "No! Please!" He shrieked. Everyone else was racing towards Thomas, asking what had happened.

"He just attacked me!" He yelled, still recovering from the encounter. 

Alby marched over and ordered the boys around, "Lift up his shirt!" He ordered while Ben still cried out. 

We all stared in horror. In the middle of Ben's stomach was a blue, rock sized hole. More pulsing red and blue veins stuck out from it, sprawling throughout his body. 

"He got stung?" Gally asked to no one in particular, "In the middle of the day?" 

Before anyone could answer, Jeff joined in, "What the hell happened to his leg?!" Everyone looked down at where I had shot him. Bright red blood from him leg stained his pants and the grass around him. Everyone looked back at Thomas, hoping for an answer. 

Thomas looked around the group, and met eyes with me. I glared at him just enough to make sure he understood that he should keep his trap shut, "I um, pierced it...w-with a stick." I had escaped this one, but it was too damn close. 

Alby nodded, and focused back on the sting, "Take him to the Med-Shack. See if we can do anything." 

The boys looked to me for guidance, being the keeper of the med-jacks. I motioned my hand to follow me and the rest of them, Gally, Newt, and the other med-jacks carried him along. 

They struggled to keep Ben down on the cot as the thrashed around trying to escape. Four of the boys pinned him down by his arms and legs in four corners. I lifted up his shirt and examined the spot, slightly repulsed. 

"Do you think it'd be too late for serum?" Jeff asked, struggling with one of Ben's legs. I poked around the area causing Ben to only scream more. All the way from his face to feet were streaks of blue. Ben growled the more I examined him. I turned around and looked through the shack, trying to find our serum. Along with a new greenie, the creators send up two containers of serum. We try to ration it because we only get them once a month. But sometimes our runners get unlucky. 

I kept searching. The more I looked the more hopeless I felt. My head grew hot and my whole body began to feel sticky, I couldn't just let Ben die like that. I owe him one. I turned back to the boys, I could feel my eyes starting to burn.

"Marty...what's wrong? Where's the serum?" Clint asked keeping the patient's arm at bay. 

I shook my head in disbelief, I was sure there must've been at least one left, "There's nothing." I threw one fist down on the table beside me, "There's nothing I can do. God damn it, there's nothing!" I didn't want to allow the boys to see the hot tear that stained my cheek.
Without looking up, I heard someone else enter the room, "What about yesterday's supply? Shouldn't there be serum there?" It was Alby. I just listened, unable to see Ben struggling any more.

"We checked," Clint said, "there wasn't anything." I banged my fists on the table again with more force this time. I knew what Ben's fate would be, but a part of me didn't want to believe it.
Alby's words shattered any hope for Ben, "Take him to the pit. You heard what she said, we can't help him. He belongs to the maze now."

The Gladers lifted the poor boy up. He still didn't give up on trying to free himself. I heard Ben's wails fade off into the distance. If Ben were himself right now, I'm sure he'd be disappointed in me after everything he'd done for me. 

I felt a hand place itself on my shoulder, rubbing back and forth. I relaxed my fists from the counter and turned to face the one who came back to console me. I turned around, and even with Gally pulling me in, wrapping his arms around my waist and telling me it would all be okay, I wouldn't allow the water in my eyes to break through it's walls.