Chapter X

Grian woke with a start, feeling something cold and hard pressed against his back. As he looked around he realised he was lying down on the cold obsidian ground and slowly sat up, hissing in pain from his broken ribs. As his eyes started to adjust to the darkness, he noticed the walls made out of purpur bricks and a single iron door from across of him.

He slowly stood up, trying not to do anything sudden as he didn't want to hurt his ribs anymore than he had to. He gasped as he felt broken bones stabbing at his lungs. Gritting his teeth, he straightened his posture as much as he was able, now fully standing up. He tried to walk over towards the iron door, but something yanked his foot back and he tripped, falling face-first into the obsidian, hitting his chin and biting his tongue.

"Ow," he groaned. He rolled over gently and looked at what had yanked his foot.
Of course I'm chained to the wall, he thought bitterly.
He tried to blast the chain using his magic but realised his magic wasn't there anymore. He felt odd, instead of the usual humming of his magic, there was hollowness, and his body felt quiet, and he shifted uncomfortably.

He squinted at the black chain wrapped around his ankle, noticing the tiny carved out symbols on each hoop.
Binding symbols.
So chaining him up and locking him up in a room apparently wasn't enough contain him. He smirked at the thought, they're scared of me.

He felt something soft brush against his arm and he jerked away, but then noticed the light purple feathers. Since his magic wasn't hiding his wings anymore, they were exposed for everyone to see.

He smiled faintly at the sight of his wings. It had been two years since he'd last seen them, and he had definitely missed them. He ran a hand over one wing gingerly, feeling the soft feathers. It was some kind of comfort knowing that they were still there, almost like a caring arm wrapping around him.

"Where is he?" Grian heard someone say, and he immediately stiffened. He knew that voice.

"In here Ravana," Watcher A said. He heard the hurried footsteps getting louder and louder until they reached the door, where they came to an abrupt stop.

He held his breath as he heard a key slip into the lock and heard a loud click, the door creaking as it swung open. 

"Oh hello, Xelqua," Watcher R said. "It has certainly been a while since we last talked hasn't it?"

"If you've brought me here to convince me to be your trainee again to join you, don't even bother, because it's not happening." He said coldly.

Watcher R laughed dryly.

Grian frowned.

"I'm afraid you've got it all wrong, Xelqua," They said. "We don't want you back, you don't deserve to be a Watcher anymore."

"You're only here so we can make sure you don't spoil our plans and get in the way." Watcher A said calmly. "Until we decide what to do with you, however, we got to make sure you don't run away again."

"You really think I can run away?" Grian gestured at the chain with the symbols wrapped around his ankle.

Watcher R tilted their head. "You think you're so smart don't you? The Xelqua we know will always find a way out. Don't you dare think that we've forgotten about the times you dodged our lessons."

Grian hid a cheeky smile. So they had noticed.
"What are you going to do then? Add more chains?"

"Oh no," Watcher A said, and Grian felt uncomfortable at how eager he sounded.
"We're going to take away what helped you escape last time."