40. We shall see

I wake up to the sound of a cockerel calling out morning greetings. Gold rays of early morning sunlight shine into the room spurring me to get out of bed. Today is a celebration!

Last night Cecilia showed us all to our rooms, their house having more than enough room for us all. I learnt later that evening, over a warming meal, that Gisela used to go out and help injured soldiers coming back from the battle field and that is in fact how she met Killian.

Even this morning I still remember her sitting back in her chair and talking with a knowing look in her eyes, "That was how I met Killian," she had told us, "he staggered into the tent with so much blood covering him that I first thought he must be a dead man walking and there would be no hope for him."

She had continued telling her story of how she stitched up his many battle wounds and slowly helped them heal without infection, a feat that is almost unheard of and made my eyes go as round as saucers.

It is almost never heard of that a man or women with large cuts heals without gaining at least on infection. I still remember a man from the blacksmiths guild cut his hand so badly and go such a bad infection it had to be amputated off entirely. Shaking that thought off I stretch and get out of bed turning to my bag of clothes lying in the corner of the room.

Eagerly I go over to the bag and pull the clothes out. Last night we had stayed up talking so late into the night that by the time I got to my room I had had only enough energy to drag myself into bed and sleep.

I pull out all the pieces of clothing and lay them out on the bed, my jaw dropping further with each new piece.

Alice has not only found two outfits that would fit me, but three. One is a simple dark green kirtle laced up at the back and to be worn over a plain, long sleeve chemise, perfect for todays activities or preparing the festival.

With much joy I change out of my old clothes and into the new ones, grinning at the womanly clothes on my body again. With child like energy I spin around laughing, oh how an outfit can impact my feelings!

Turning back to the other two outfits I take them properly in. The second one is a beautiful dark blue surcoat with long hanging sleeves. Intricate silver swirls are stitched onto the gown matching the light whitish grey belt. This all goes over an even simpler kirtle and chemise then the ones that I am wearing now but even still I can't even begin to imagine how much time this would take to make. This of course is the evenings outfit so I lay it, folded neatly, to one side.

Finally I turn to the last outfit which surprisingly excites me the most. This is an outfit that I never thought I would see, it looks as though Alice has made a males outfit, yet added in dashes of a womanly shape and design, creating a completely novel look to me and perfect for travelling in.

From the dresser in the corner, I pick up a comb and start running it through my tangled hair. This being the first time since I left Gandrick castle of using a proper comb to untangle my hair. Once brushed out, I plait it once more and pin it up, not wanting to have my hair get in the way today.

I make my way to the kitchen where I find Gisela stirring sludge over the fire.

"Good morning," I greet her as she looks up.

"Good morning to you too! It sure is a fine morning, have a seat, the porridge should be ready any moment now."

I take a seat at the table, "Is anyone else up yet?"

"No, not yet, I prefer to get up early to day to start preparing,"

"Talking of preparing, what things need to be done today?" I ask curiously.

"Ha!" Gisela lets out a laugh, "Everything needs doing, today is always chaotic."

"Okay then," I laugh, "I am happy to help with anything."

"That is good, are you any good at cooking?" Gisela asks, handing me a bowl full of porridge before sitting down opposite to me with a bowl in her own hand.

"I love to cook," I smile.

"Then you can come help me in the village hall's kitchen, we are always short of hands there,"

"I like the sound of that," I reply, excitement filling me at thought of cooking again.

We finish eating, making merry conversation, before putting away our things.

"Right, I shall leave the pot out for everybody else when they rise, do we need to leave anything else for them?" Gisela muses, looking around the kitchen.

"I don't think they will need anything else."

"I think you are right, Cecelia can always help if Sage and Killian need anything." Gisela looks up at me, "And now, we shall start the real day,"

I follow the little lady out of the house, "Do I need to bring anything?"

She looks back at me, "Only yourself, and I have to say, Alice did a fine job of choosing out clothe for you."

I smile, "Thank you again for getting me clothes,"

"My pleasure, although I am now thinking that I will have to be spending the day fending off the village lads now that you are dressing like a women."

I laugh, "I get the feeling I shall be in the kitchen all day without the time to meeting anyone new."

"We shall see," She winks at me, before turning back around. I inwardly smile to myself before following her outside into the crisp air, Gisela's actions and words bringing me much entertainment.

A/N:

Anyone else always wanted to wear clothes from different sections of history? I know I would love to do that! 

This wasn't the longest most exciting chapter it's in preparation for the next ones ;)

Please vote and comment if you enjoyed!

SouthernAlps over and out...