59. Chaffinches

"Ell, please open the door." Killian's voice speaks calmly from the other side of the door but I ignore him and instead quickly wrap up some leftovers in a cloth and then stick them into a bag along with a few blankets. Outside the door, Killian falls silent and I know that I need to leave right now.

I grab the bag and sling it over my shoulder before dashing out of the door towards the clump of trees a handful of metres away from the manor. I press my back against the bark of the tree and peer round the trunk looking for people.

I have now learnt my mistake of running away on foot so this time I am heading towards the stables. Since I'd arrived at Balcott manor, much of my free time was spent in the stables, giving a helping hand tending to the horses whether that be feeding, grooming or even taking them out on rides. Ever since Griffin and the other horses had gone on their way I'd longed for their presence, my love for horses having grown greatly since the beginning of my journey.

"G'morn Rose," Harold the old stablehand greets me as I sneak into the back of the stables.

"Morning Harold, is it okay if I take one of the horses out for a ride?" I cross my fingers behind my back.

"That should be okay, how long are you planning to be out?" He eyes my bag.

"A night or two most likely,"

Or maybe a bit longer.

"And Aldred has approved your break?"

"Yes," I lie through my teeth, although he Alred has not given me the all clear, he did say that the following few days would be very relaxed after the big weekend.

"If it's fine by him then sure, I know Raven has been itching to go out for a ride."

I smile, "I shall go tack her up then, thank you Harold,"

He nods and returns to cleaning out a stall.

I walk passed him and go find Raven who's munching happily on some hay.

"Morning beautiful girl,"

She is ready within minutes and I quickly mount her, "See you in a few days," I call out to Harold who waves a goodbye to us as we walk out of the back entrance of the stable.

I lean forwards and whisper to Raven, "Ready to run?"

I navigate her slowly and calmly out of the stable trying not to draw any attention to myself. I do not know how many of Lord Golding's knights are here and trying to get me currently. A man suddenly runs out of the manor his strong shape distinctly Killian's and looks around finally catching sight of me.

I spur Raven on and she breaks into a canter, flying across the ground. Morning mist still smothers the land in front of us, not yet cleared away by the sun. After crossing one pasture I look briefly back and see with dismay that Killian is now on a horse too and following in hot pursuit followed by two other men a little further back.

"Time to pick up the pace," I place my hand on Ravens should signalling that its time go faster. She must also pick up my emotions for she goes faster than she ever has before, I laugh, there is a reason why she is named after a bird, it is because when you riding her it feels as though you are flying. The wind whips past my face causing a few tears of leak out of my eyes, blurring my vision.

We cover ground quickly and get closer and closer to the safety of the forest that will bring shelter. Over the past months I have been exploring the surrounding land not only for enjoyment purposed but for if a moment like this arose, which it has.

Only a month ago I was exploring and discovered the ruins of an old fort tucked safely away in the middle of the forest, disguised in old vines and shrubbery, an ideal hiding spot to camp out in and create a plan.

Finally I reach the edge of the forest and bring Raven down to a walk to weave in between the young silver birch trees that are sprouting. As we go in deeper the trees get denser with more oak and beech trees sprouting up and giving more coverage.

"You prepared to get a little wet?" I ask as we come to the steam that runs through the forest. Raven goes slowly into the water and then I direct her up stream. By walking a way in the water it means that Raven's tracks will be non existent and they won't know which part of the forest we enter on the other side, that is if they are still on our trail.

Once across the stream, I dismount because the shrubbery gets too thick and instead start leading Raven by hand, "We have to be quiet now girl, stealth is the key here."

We walk a little while longer until finally I spot the cracked corner stones of the fort.

"Here we go,"

I lead Raven around to the other side of the fort where it is more sheltered by long weeping trees that completely cover her existence until you are around a foot close to her.

I loosely tie her up to an iron rod protruding from the ruin with enough rope to graze the grass around her before grabbing my things and climbing up into the fort. There is one tower that is still standing and so I make my way up there, knowing that I can keep a lookout from up there.

For hours I sit up there, keeping watch over the forest. A couple of chaffinches land on the wall when I start eating around midday, chattering away and eating the crumbs that I drop.

"What am I doing?" I say to the birds, who blissfully ignore the human talking to them. "How can I keep running away from a lord who has knights at his command? Maybe I'm safe for a month or two, but then something always seems to go wrong and I am forced to move again and again. This is not sustainable."

I place my head in my hands in despair.

One chaffinch looks up at me as if to say, you only have to stay out of their grasp until they find another woman for their son to marry.

But what if that isn't the case anymore? What happens if I have insulted them so much that they will always be looking for me to punish?

Then you can keep running, I tell myself because freedom, no matter how tough it is, is better than being a prisoner for the rest of my life.

I shall keep on running and anyone who I meet along the way that wishes to join me shall be welcomed into my one woman band of freedom wishers with open arms, we shall be chaffinches who will always sing of hope and refuse to be trapped.

I smile at the chaffinches before me, this is not the end, this is only the beginning.

"Thank you little ones, you have brought me great inspiration." I say quietly before wrapping up my food again, the movement sending them flying into the air.

With food in hand I decide to go back down and check on Raven, however just as I am walking across the fort I see a shadow fleetingly appear out the corner of my eye but before I can turn around or run, I am grabbed from behind and a hand is clamped over my mouth. 

A/N:

Cliffhangerr! 

Who is it that has her? A friend or a foe?

Vote and comment if you enjoyed! 

SouthernAlps over and out...