five

FIVE

THE BLINDFOLD SET OVER HER eyes was ripped off in a sudden movement, the light hanging above her blinding her vision

THE BLINDFOLD SET OVER HER eyes was ripped off in a sudden movement, the light hanging above her blinding her vision. Scarlett squinted at it. Her thoughts were muddled inside of her head, a pulsing going through her body. Had they knocked her out?

Her dress was tight against her body. Her arms and legs had been tied tightly to a metal chair with thick rope, which rubbed against her skin. The Agent tried to wriggle around, testing out her options.

If she could get her hands free from the restraints, she could untie her legs and make a run for it.

"I would stop if I were you," a voice said from the dark. It startled her. "Rope burn."

Scarlett tried to speak, now becoming aware of the cloth that had been shoved into her mouth. She mumbled unintelligible words angrily, still continuing to move against her restraints.

A chair was pushed into the light, a man coming into view. He sat himself down slowly, a mask covering his face. And even with the mask, Scarlett could see his eyes — looking right at her.

He leaned forward, his hands pulling down the gag on her face.

"You— you knocked—"

"Don't make me put it right back in," he warned. "You're lucky I'm even allowing you to speak. I have a few questions for you."

Scarlett shut her mouth after that, a frown on her face. No matter what, she would keep silent. His questions weren't worth answering.

"Did you really think it would be that easy to take us out?" He shook his head, letting out a laugh. "We've kept our eye on you since your boss assigned this mission to you. We always keep tabs on federal agencies, and you, Scarlett, just happened to raise a red flag. Can't risk being compromised by an Agent, right?"

"Get to the point," Scarlett spat out.

The man continued with his story anyway. "We led you on for a bit, just to see exactly how determined you were. You persisted! Messing with your systems was quite easy, to our surprise. We decided to lead you to New York and straight to us, which worked like a charm, don't you think? And that dumbass password. We Are Legion? You believed that, didn't you? As soon as our bodyguard alerted us we knew it just had to be you. Can't disappoint your boss on your very first mission."

"Get to the point," Scarlett repeated, her cheeks flushed in embarrassment.

She had been tricked by an entire secret organization. Been drawn straight into their trap. If Scarlett even got out of here alive, she would lose her job on the spot. But her job wasn't what she was worried about currently. Being kidnapped and stuck in a basement was.