thirteen

THIRTEEN

KADEN FELT LIKE HIS HEART had been crushed into two

KADEN FELT LIKE HIS HEART had been crushed into two. Scarlett had twisted it right out of his chest and ripped it into bits, leaving it in the dust. It wasn't rejection — the woman didn't even know of the feelings he harnessed. No, it was pure and utter betrayal.

William had told him he was being dramatic.

Him and Scarlett were supposed to be in on this together, not a one man mission. When she had gotten captured, Kaden had expected her to accept the fact that he wanted to save her and go, run as fast as she could. The woman exceeded his expectations, however.

Scarlett wanted to stay, and for what? The brunette had claimed it was for their safety, that she would figure it all out. Yet Kaden couldn't bring himself to believe her. Was it for Lucien?

Anger boiled in his chest.

Lucien was most likely brainwashing Scarlett, convincing her that all the things she had done once before were wrong — working as a government official, not supporting Anonymous, being against the protests, supporting policemen and women.

Even through her betrayal, he still loved her.

When him and William had been released, they formulated a plan to keep Scarletts kidnapping out of public view. It's what she would've wanted, after all. Once the two men would return back to their own city, they would tell Chris that everything was fine — that Scarlett didn't need their help on this mission anymore. Occasionally they would find a way to keep in touch, but other than that, they had no way of knowing if she was dead or alive.

Telling Chris that Scarlett didn't need their help anymore was surprisingly easy. He only responded with a shrug of his shoulders, mumbling some intelligible words and moving on with his work.

That's when she approached them. A journalist from The Washington Post, who had introduced herself as Jen.

Jen wanted to know about their most recent mission, coming from a woman who was very interested about the day in the life of a federal agent in times like these. It seemed to them that she was only searching for more drama on Anonymous, or news about the most wanted criminals so she could make barely any money writing about it online.

When the two men refused to tell her anything, Jen calmly handed them her business card, and walked away without another word.

The brunet at first had shoved the business card into the depths of his pockets. He would never find a use for it. But as the days passed by, Kaden's anger only grew.

Kaden didn't care about what Scarlett wanted anymore. He wanted those hackers to be gone.

He grabbed the crumbled business card out of his pocket in a rush, typing the phone number in.