seven

SEVEN

"WHAT IF SHE'S DEAD ALREADY?" William asked Kaden, staring blankly at the wall in front of him

The two men had left their hotel in a hurry, worried about Anonymous possibly tracking their location. Kaden, in the last minute, had called a family friend of his to see if they could stay at their house. Their home was just outside of the city, and they were more than welcome to let them stay. The two didn't tell them about what had been going on recently. It was safer that way.

"So, Kaden, have you and William been friends for a while?" Mrs. Greene asked at the dinner table, shoveling green beans and mashed potatoes onto her plate. "Your mother never tells me about these things. I didn't even know you were in town!"

"Sorry for not telling you earlier, ma'am." Kaden apologized. "And yes, William and I have been friends for a while. We met each other at work."

Mr. Greene nodded thoughtfully. "So you two aren't... dating? I mean, not that there's anything wrong with two respectful men loving each other! But it's just weird that we haven't met William before."

Kaden choked on his own spit, and he could hear William coughing in shock from the other side of the table. "No— no, we aren't dating."

Mrs. Greene winked at Kaden. "No need to worry about it, sweetheart. We don't judge."

And now they were sharing a room. With two beds, thankfully.

"Don't say that." Kaden shook his head. "If Scarlett died, I wouldn't know what to do with myself."

Kaden, in his heart, carried a deep affection for Scarlett. A deep longing. He knew that his feelings for the Agent would one day come in the way of his priorities, and had tried to push them away. She didn't feel the same way, she would never feel the same way.

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw William raise an eyebrow at him in question.

Just ignore it, Kaden silently pleaded. Ignore it, Garcia.

The man crawled into his bed, pulling the stiff sheets up to cover himself. He shifted around for a bit, finally turning his back to William. Kaden closed his eyes, snuggling his head into the pillow.

William did the same, turning his back to Kaden. "What are we going to say if Chris calls? You said you had a plan, Kaden. And I haven't heard it yet."

"My plan was to put Scarletts kidnapping out everywhere on the news. Anonymous likes to stay secretive. If everyone in the world knew about how they were holding an Agent hostage, it would draw unwanted attention. That way, they're more likely to negotiate with us." Kaden flipped his body, his eyes now focused on the popcorn ceiling above him. "I have another plan, if you would like to hear it."