sixteen

SIXTEEN

EDIT: This chapter has been edited as of June 22, 2020. For my old readers, you can reread if you want to the things I added were minor.

 For my old readers, you can reread if you want to the things I added were minor

JENNIFER WATKINS WAS A STUBBORN woman. No matter how much Lucien — or Luke — pressed on about how she had come to receive the information about the Anonymous kidnapping, Jen gave the same exact answer. Her story was that she was simply interested in investigating cases in federal agencies, and got a tip from a caller who would remain to be secret.

The man retrieved his phone from it's place in his pocket, quickly sending a text to Frankie.

Lucien
Can you check the phone records for Jennifer Watkins?

Frankie
Where are you?

Lucien
Doesn't matter.

Lucien
I need phone records for Jennifer Watkins.

Frankie
I'll text you back once I find it.

He made small talk with Jennifer about his "job" until his phone buzzed again.

Frankie
An unknown number.

Frankie
Kaden Braun. You better tell me what the fuck is going on because I'm almost positive that's the man we let go.

Lucien
Frankie, calm down for a second.

Lucien
Track where Kaden is. I'll be coming back there as soon as I can.

"Jennifer," he started off, "can you tell me who Kaden Braun is, and what you're doing communicating to federal agents?"

That seemed to hit the jackpot.

Her mouth parted, her eyes widening in shock. "It was nothing, Luke, I swear. Look, if you want some of my money, take it." Jennifer fished out her wallet, pulling hundred dollar bills out. "Take it. Take it! Just do not tell anyone. Please, Luke. Do not tell anyone."

Lucien waved his hand in dismissal. "I don't want your damn money." His phone buzzed once again, his eyes flickering down to the screen. "Goodbye, Jennifer. It was nice talking to you."

Frankie
Lucien, he's twenty miles away.

Twenty miles away, and what for?

Lucien didn't have to ask that question to know. Kaden was bringing the other Agents, and soon. The man rushed himself out of the door, texting Frankie back with shaking hands.