nine

NINE

SCARLETTS EYELIDS FLUTTERED OPEN, THE setting around her unknown from where she had fallen asleep last night

SCARLETTS EYELIDS FLUTTERED OPEN, THE setting around her unknown from where she had fallen asleep last night. Soft sheets and a maroon colored blanket caressed her skin, a much softer pillow laying beneath her head. Had the concussion messed with Scarletts memory badly enough to the point where she couldn't even remember the last place she had been?

The woman lifted herself upright on the bed, the blanket falling down to her waist. Her brown eyes scanned the room.

She strictly remembered being led here by a curly headed woman with a mask on — who told Scarlett her name was Ayana.

"Whose room is this?" The Agent asked, looking around skeptically. A kitchen with marble countertops and dark stained cabinets, a king sized mattress, stocked bookshelves and a full bathroom? It was far too nice to just be a guest room.

"It's, um— Lucien stays here. Do you know who that is?"

Lucien. Flashes of him crossed her mind. The oddly temperamental but seemingly caring hacker who only checked on her every so often, asked questions, and left.

Scarlett had correctly guessed him to be their leader here. While Anonymous did not associate themselves with having a leader or a boss who controlled their actions, Lucien seemed to automatically take that place — without having to be given that role. He conducted meetings, he asked the questions, he was considered as their boss.

Of course he would have the nicest room in the whole damn building.

The brunette nodded. "Yeah, I know he is."

When Ayana had said her goodbyes and left, the woman didn't bother to give herself a tour of his bedroom. She took a blanket off of his bed, and threw the pillow that was underneath her arm on the floor. A makeshift bed, it would do for now. Scarlett didn't want to sleep in Lucien's bed, she refused to.

And now she was here, laying in his bed. Had Lucien moved her here? Scarlett ruled that possibility out of her head. He wouldn't do that. Perhaps it was Ayana — she was light enough to be lifted by another woman, anyway.

The woman got out of the bed, walking around the room to give herself a personal tour. Part of it was out of pure and utter boredom, and part of it was her own natural curiosity.

It became obvious that Lucien liked to stay clean and tidy.

The kitchen area was spotless. The counters reflected the lights on the ceiling. The food stored in the cabinets above had already been sorted by their groups, starting with canned goods and ending with spices and grains. When Scarlett checked the fridge, it was mostly empty except for the half full water filter and some produce products stored in the bottom drawers. In the freezer were some tubs of mint icecream, which made the man seem oddly human to her.