The First Day Of Many Things

A/N: I'll update mostly on weekends and most of the time a few chapters at a time. I'll try to keep them long.

Ash POV

Besides the encounter with Boss Camel and his gang, the first few periods of the day went by quite smoothly, although I didn't make any friends as I was trying my best to catch up on the 3 weeks of classes I missed. Soon the bell rang, and History ended as lunch began. The students quickly streamed out of the class and made a dash for the cafeteria as I continued to pack my things. Stealing a glance at the back of the class, I realised that the guy named Paul was still sitting there doing nothing but staring out the window. I remembered his name because the way our History teacher said it made it evident she was afraid of him.

I walked up to his desk with the most confident smile I could muster before saying, "Hi! My name is Ash Ketchum from Pallet Town!" I stretched out my hand for a handshake but he simply glanced at me and then to my hand and then back to the window. His stare was cold and showed no hint of life. I ignored the shiver it sent down my spine and continued.

"I'm new to this school and I moved into the neighbourhood a week ago. How about you?" I said as cheerily as I could manage.

"..."

"Hello?" I was kind of puzzled at this point, considering if he was deaf, when he stood up from his seat and swung a bag over his shoulder, casting me one more cold glance before walking out of the classroom, leaving me and Pikachu staring at him confused.

"Well someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed" I muttered to myself as I made my way out and to the cafeteria, which was already lively with activity. 

——————————

Without any friends yet I decided I would just grab my food and head out to the garden the school had. I quickly chose my food and got an extra bowl of ketchup for Pikachu to dip his food into as I turned to make my way out of the student hotspot. I was almost out the door when a familiar character blocked my way.

"Hey Ketchup, I challenge you to a battle!" Calem jabbed a finger into my chest with a smirk on his face. I wanted to say yes but then the memory struck me hard as I froze. The night coming back to me. The scream and the crying. The flames and the blood. The pain and the death.

I must have been standing there for a long time because Calem snapped his fingers in front of my face with an annoyed expression. "You ignoring me Ketchup?"

I got a grip on myself before replying, "It's Ketchum, Ash Ketchum. And I'm sorry but I'll have to decline your challenge." I tried to walk around him but the bully couldn't take a hint, or rather just ignored it.

"You scared Ketchup? Scared that your pathetic Pikachu is gonna lose badly? Hmmm?" He taunted with a laugh as his gang also started to join in with their own cackles. I could hear snickers across the cafeteria. I had to stop myself and Pikachu from doing something we would regret later on.

Seeing me stand there in silence, Calem took it as a signal to continue. Oh why won't the bastard just shut up. "Come on you scaredy cat! Did mummy not teach you to be brave!?"

I could feel the rage boiling at me by this point. Pikachu was starting to spark uncontrollably, short circuiting a nearby light. I needed to get out of here before something goes down. So I quickly shoved my tray of food at Calem, who caught it in confusion, which gave me time to dash around him and run outside with Pikachu by my side.

We were racing down the hallway when I heard him shout out, "Come back here you loser! I challenged you to a battle! So you're gonna battle me! Then maybe I could show you where the toilets are and give you a close look at how the flush works!" 

Footsteps thudded on the ground behind me as I ran as fast I could, turning straight into a dead end.

"Oh no..." I muttered under my breath as I turned around to see four silhouettes looming in closer. 

"No where to run Ketchup! Now how 'bout you make this easier for everyone and just battle me. And then we can give you a private tour of our favourite spots in school. My personal favourite is the changing room locker." The gang started walking down the hallway closer to me as I protectively stood in front of Pikachu who gave me a puzzled look.

"Sorry Pikachu but I can't let you thunderbolt them." I whispered to my partner.

"Pika? Pika pikachu!" 

"Don't worry about me I'll be fine, but if we fight back it'll just make things worse... it always makes things worse..." I bit my lip as I said the last part. I've fought back enough, sometimes the best thing to do is just to accept life as cruel as it is, because trying to change that may just make it more cruel.

"So finally given up huh? Let's battle then!"

"I won't battle you..." I say through gritted teeth. This guy really can't take a hint.

"Then I'll just have to make you! Chesnaught go!" He launched a Pokéball in the air and the large grass type towered over us with a devilish smirk. 

"Vine whip!" Glowing vines shot from its back towards us in the blink of an eye.

"Iron tail!"