Unexpected

Ash POV

I saw a flash of yellow as a tail glowing silver shot forward to intercept the two vines aimed at me, before another lashed out and sent Chesnaught sliding back. Both Pikachu and I looked on in confusion as an Electivire took its battle stance in front of me.

"Viiire!" The electric type roared.

"Hey which idiot has the nerve to inter—" Calem's voice got caught in his throat as he turned around to see a familiar purple-haired boy standing there with his cold as ever gaze. Even though I couldn't see his face, I could just imagine his fear as he stiffened and froze on the spot, as did his underlings did the same. I still don't understand why people are scared of Paul, aside from that cold glare that is. But seeing as how Calem, the school champion and bully is afraid of him, I'm left to wonder what kind of reputation Paul carries.

"Scram." Paul said in a low voice, barely audible. Just something about his demeanour and actions are enough to send chills down ones spine. Calem, however, refusing to back down even though he was on the verge of wetting himself, stuttered, "Wha-at ar-are you do-oing he-here? Th-this is no-none of you-your business!" Barely managing to get his final word out without stammering, Calem tried puffing himself up to put up a show of confidence.

Paul simply glared at him before ordering, "Thunder punch." 

Electivire responded with a nod and barely a second later Chesnaught collapsed on its knees, with lose volts running through its armoured body. Calem look of horror was priceless as he quickly returned his starter Pokémon and ran off, nearly tripping on his own feet, as the other three bullies soon followed.

"Pathetic." I could hear Paul scoff under his breath as a ghost of a smile reached his lips. As quickly as it appeared, the smile disappeared as he turned to face me before returning his electric type. He gave me one more glance before turning to walk away.

"Thanks for that!" I quickly said before he left. He stopped walking and turned to me with what I could've sworn was another smile.

"Even a hero needs help sometimes." With that he walked out of sight, leaving me frozen on the spot. Did he know? I glanced down at Greninja's Pokéball, a million questions running through my mind all at once. Who was that guy? Who was the person who even the Teachers were scared of? Who is Paul?

Serena POV

I was running late for lunch as Dawn had decided to drag me with her to watch as her ship set sail. I love that girl to death, but I even I have to admit she gets overboard when it comes to her ships. For the past week she has been pushing one of her classmates in English, Cilan, to confess his feelings to Iris, one of the most athletic girls in school. She even helped him write and deliver a letter asking her to meet him after school into her locker. So we watched from the bushes as the green haired boy stuttered in front of an impatient Iris. I would've sworn that she would've rejected the poor guy if he even managed to say something, but Dawn peaked ever so slightly out of the bush so that Cilan could see her give him a reassuring smile and thumbs up. He eventually said what he wanted to, and very eloquently may I add. Dawn and I waited with suspense as Iris had an unreadable expression on her face.

"You know what never mind what I just said... I'm sorr—" Cilan was cut off as he was tackled by Iris into a hug, before the two walked off towards the cafeteria to announce the news to their friends. Just as they were almost out of sight, Cilan turned to where we were and mouthed a 'Thank you' to Dawn.

"I told you they would get together! They're such a perfect couple!!!" Dawn squealed as she skipped down the hall towards the cafeteria where the rest of the gang was, me close behind.

Suddenly a shout echoed through the hallway and we both looked at each other instantly. As I said I was the shyest person of the group, and Dawn was essentially my polar opposite, so instead of walking in the other direction, she dragged me around the corner to look at a confrontation between Calem and his group of bullies, the new kid, and... Paul!?

I could tell Dawn was as shocked as I was. What was Paul doing there? He never got involved in anything at school, and no one dared to get him involved. Even Calem in all his pig-headedness knew disturbing Paul was a no-no. So the most likely possible is that the new kid somehow pissed both Paul and Calem off, but it seemed as if Paul's Electivire was protecting the new kid—man I got to learn his name, I can't keep calling him the new kid— while Calem looked ready to wet himself. 

"Thunder punch," and within a second Chesnaught was in the ground paralysed from Electivire's thunder punch. Calem and his gang quickly ran away from the scene, leaving the Paul and the new kid alone, with Dawn and I watching on in curiosity. There was a moment of tense silence as Paul returned his Pokémon, before he started to walk away.

"Thanks for that!" Paul stopped in his tracks as he turned to face the new kid.

"Even a hero needs help sometimes." The new kid looked shocked at his statement, like someone just revealed his biggest secret, while Paul walked back to his classroom.

"Hero? What do you think he means by that?" Dawn whispered. I just shrugged as the new kid looked at one of his Pokéballs before walking back to the cafeteria. 

"Hey, we should tell the others about this. Paul just saved the new kid, he never does anything like that!" Dawn added as we began to walk to the cafeteria too. I just silently nodded. Something about that new kid seemed so familiar, but I couldn't put my finger on it. 

"Hey Dawn, does that new kid look familiar to you?"

"Nope. Why?"

"No reason."

We walked into the cafeteria just in time to see the new kid walk out the other door that led to the gardens of the school. Guess he doesn't have any friends to eat with. Maybe the group wouldn't mind if I invited him to join us. It'd be a great way to get to know him.