Hidden Pages

Ash POV 

"...No one's perfect, because life isn't about being perfect. It's learning to accept being flawed, and finding people who you can be broken with."

Her words were filled with such confidence I felt obliged to believe them, but it was still hard. I could allow myself to open up to my Pokémon, because we share a bond forged in battle, something that allows us to put our full trust in each other. But people, those are a harder kind to trust. I know there are some in the world who are genuinely kind and there for me, like Professor Oak and Paul, but as for the rest of our friend group, I wasn't sure. I've known them for about two weeks, and that should've been enough to convince me, but it's like I'm always looking for a reason not to trust them, and I hate myself for it. 

But sitting on the floor of this land form, next to the honey blonde girl who's seen me close to my worst and is still here, it gives a new reassurance that maybe I'm wrong, and I want more than anything to be wrong.

"Thanks." My voice was soft, just audible enough for her to hear.

"That's what friends are for. To comfort you and to give you someone to talk to. So please, talk to us, it'll help, and I assure you they'll listen." Serena said as she got to her feet and dusted herself, her clothes covered in a layer of dust.

"Sorry about that." I said sheepishly as I tried getting to my feet myself.

"Wait Ash, do- AAHHHH" She tried to reach forward to support me, but in her haste, tripped over herself. I tried to catch her, but my legs barely held my weight, so we were sent to the floor together as Fennekin jumped out of the way.

"You feeling a sense of Deja Vu too?" I chuckled as I regained my senses. I managed to cushion her fall, meaning she was on top of me, and her head rested next to mine, a few stray locks of honey blonde covered my face. 

"AH! I'm sorry!" She quickly pushed herself off of me, both hands pressing on my chests and knocking the air out of me. "I didn't mean to do that! Are you ok? Oh no, did you-" She started rambling as her pale face started to burn red from what I understood as embarrassment, and I couldn't help but chuckle.

"Serena, it's fine. I'm perfectly OK, no harm done." I stood up again and dusted myself off, only now realizing the cuts and bruises on my forearms. 

"Are you sure? Nothing broken, twisted, fractured, sprained..." She began rambling again and I promptly put my hands on both her shoulders, earning a surprised jolt and a new shade of dark red from her. "I'm fine Serena."

"OK." Her voice turned soft as she looked away. I reached out my hand towards her head and pressed it against her forehead, earning another surprised reaction.

"But are you? You seem a little red, you feeling ok?" I asked, genuinely concerned she may have a fever. She seems to turn red a lot, so I'm never sure.

"Yeah, you feeling OK, Blondie?" A familiar voice called out behind me, and I could've sworn Serena shot him a glare, but I shrugged it off.

"You came too?" I turned around, surprised.

"Did you expect me not too?" He raised an eyebrow with an amused smile. "Before we continue with our conversation,  how about we start making our way back, you two look like you've been in a sandstorm."

"We'll catch you up on the way back." Serena said before I could stop her. Paul and I turned towards the way down, but I realized that Serena was heading the opposite direction.

"Serena, wrong way." I said, unsure of why she would be disorientated.

"Aren't they all the same?"