o8. secrets upon secrets

o8 | "You run the other way

o8 | "You run the other way."

PREVIOUSLY.

"You want to be best friends again?" she asks.

Namjoon nods while Yoongi stares at her with a face she's never seen before.

A part of Hyemi crumbles. In just one day, she has managed to see two unknown faces dawning upon the people she thought she knew like the back of her hand; the people she grew up with, spending all of her youth into their years together; the people she was best friends— no, soulmates with.

"Then here's a tip. Best friends don't keep secrets from each other."

CHAPTER 8.

SEVEN YEARS AGO.

A YOUNG GIRL in her Baduk High uniform tip-toes across the wet lawn, sneaking up behind the gate to her neighbours' house and peeks over to scan left and right. Her ears perk up for any sound and after a moment, she deems it safe to enter the premises. The gate creaks softly as it opens and she pokes her head through to do another scan.

"Feel free to come out. Namjoon's not here."

Hyemi flinches in surprise and turns to see Namjoon's dad leaning against the door of his house, a knowing smile on his face.

Flustered, she clears her throat and avoids his gaze, "W-who said I cared?"

He shakes his head, his smile still there as he walks towards her, a spitting image of Namjoon. Despite being a single dad, he looked young and handsome, eyes round with deep dimples and still somehow able to radiate that same boyish aura as Namjoon.

He hands her a lunch bag. "You didn't come over so I packed your lunch. Here."

Hyemi mutters a thanks and puts it into her backpack.

He stares down at her, intrigued. "Why aren't you going to school on your bike anymore?" he asks.

"I wanted to use up my bus pass, that's all."

There's a pause. She avoids his gaze.

"You fought with Namjoon again, didn't you?"

Her face stiffens and she blinks, "No, I didn't."

He gives her a look but before he could say anything, Hyemi brushes past him. "I'm going to school now!"

With a toothy grin and wave, she turns and skips down the street to catch the bus. She's been riding the bus instead of her bike because her and Namjoon did indeed get into a fight last week, causing them to avoid each other as much as they can; which unfortunately, meant they no longer bike to school together. She realized just how hard it is to avoid your best friend when her gaze keeps landing on him in math class, when she sees him fumbling with his locker combo, and when they open the doors to their houses sitting next to each other.