Chapter 7

So, it's been been 2 hours and the infant still hasn't stopped talking. Yeah, "infant" is the new name I'd be using for Saad inside my head.

He has been peeping into my laptop screen the whole time so that he could "watch and learn", commenting on everything that I do, telling me how great self-help books are and suggesting me a few to read, and the worst of all asking me to assign work for him.

James hasn't even talked to us about the new project yet. So, I was forced to share the logins of the company social media pages to keep him occupied until I find him some tasks to do, and trust me that was painful!

The social media pages I handle are like my own kids. It's like I was a single mommy to them all these days and suddenly they have a daddy and it's just too weird. Having to share them with someone else is just too cruel!

Apart from the undying inquisitiveness, another annoying thing about the infant is that though he's just 22, he keeps talking like an old soul. He thinks that it is maturity but it's downright funny to me.

However, no matter how annoying he is, in a way it's beneficial to have him around I guess — not because of work duties but because just like my niblings, he too keeps me busy that I hardly get an urge to text Sameer.

Maybe this is good after all. Maybe Saad and the new project will help me keep myself distracted. I hope so. I really do.

Since there isn't much work, I keep scrolling through Facebook. Maybe the office gossipmongers are right. Maybe I'm just getting paid to use social media. Ah but who cares! I peep into the infant's screen just to make sure he's doing the same. Oh yes! He is using office WiFi and watching YouTube videos. 'We are a perfect duo', I think to myself.

He is watching videos of someone who looks very familiar but I don't exactly recall. I kind of want to ask him who it is, but I also don't want to give him the impression that I was staring at his screen, so I go back to Facebook.

Oh all these sad quotes on Facebook just seem so relatable right now. So many posts about unrequited love. Though I have never fallen in love or had a heartbreak before I can always feel the sadness in such posts, so I share them on my timeline. My FB friends probably think that I'm an emotional wreck. It's alright. I'm sort of like that.

 I'm sort of like that

It's 2:00 pm. I'm bored and I want to go home. I yawn as my phone vibrates and oh it's Sameer!

Even before checking what it is, my heart starts beating faster. I hate this feeling but I can't seem to stop it. I unlock my phone and click on the message and I smile.

I smile because the message reads, "Hey, can we talk for a few minutes like yesterday? Kinda miss you 😋" Wait wait wait! Let me just process this first. He wants to talk to me like via an actual call and he misses me too? It's probably to call me a friend again and maybe he just misses me as a friend too. But who cares?