Chapter 41

Ever since Zayan messaged me yesterday saying that he has something to tell me, I've been imagining all possible scenarios. The truth is, I hate suspenses, surprises or secrets — call it whatever you want, but anything that requires me to wait and make guesses, annoys me! I'm too impatient for things like that.

Why couldn't he have just told me whatever it is via text? I mean, I understand if it's a sensitive issue like firing me or him dying, it requires a face-to-face conversation. But if it's anything else, I will seriously get mad.

Anyway, here I am now at Second Chance waiting for Mr. Perfect Jawline to make his confession but he hasn't come yet. Apparently, he will be here in five minutes. It's been three minutes since he said that. I hope he makes it on time.

"Hey Ilhaam! How are you?" says Zayan as I scroll through my Instagram. I look up to find his jawline perfect as ever, his smile as infectious as ever and his eyes so full of life as always. Man, I did miss seeing his face. Too much of perfection in one person!

"Hey..umm..I'm good. How are you?" I ask. It's been four months and I still stutter at times when I talk to him. Ugh! When will I stop doing it? Perhaps after he fires me today. I've been thinking a lot about how I would react if he says he doesn't to work with me anymore. One, I would be hit financially because he is my highest-paying client at the moment and the other, I would be affected mentally too because I won't get to see the sharp jawline anymore. Sad!

"I'm great. Here you go. This is for you and the kids" says Zayan, handing over a bag to me, as he takes a seat. Okay, now what? I did not ask for anything. Plus, what's this reference about 'kids'? Is he talking about my niblings?

I open the bag to find chocolates. But this time, it's not just normal adult chocolates, but a lot of Kinder Joy too! Damn! No wonder the kids love it. Even I'm excited to see it. But still, why would Zayan give me this now? Is he trying to send me away with good vibes because he is about the end the deal with me?

"But I didn't even ask for it" I say looking confused. Zayan smiles and says, "It's mainly for the kids. They asked for it last time. So you can't deny it. Give it to them." Did he actually remember what my niblings told him four months back? That's crazy and sweet. Extremely sweet. Man, I love his kindness! "Thanks. They will love it. Means a lot" I say with a smile. "My genuine pleasure" says Zayan.

And he asks, "So you ready for the discussion?" I say, "Uh yeah I think so." Obviously dude. That's why I'm here. "Any guesses as to what it might be about?" asks Zayan giving me a straight face without a smile. Damn! This really looks like a serious discussion now. I'm about to lose my first client. It's okay. Things happen. I will be fine.

"Uh..I think I have a few guesses" I say. "Like what? Tell me your biggest guess" says Zayan with a slight smile. Ugh! Why can't he just tell it himself? What's with this guessing game? I gather my courage and say, "I think you are going to cancel our deal. I'm not sure. I don't know. Is it that?"

"Why would I do that?" asks Zayan raising his eyebrows. Now, does this mean 'yes' or 'no'? He is just confusing me more. "I don't know. Maybe you found someone better to handle Second Chance's marketing" I say. Zayan shakes his head and says, "Seriously, Ilhaam? That's your biggest guess? I'm sorry to tell this but you are wrong and you just disappointed me for the first time."

Okay, now I do not know whether to feel happy or sad about this. On one hand, it's good news that the deal is not off. But on the other hand, he just said that I disappointed him. And mind you, I hate disappointing people, especially guys with jawlines like that!

"But you said that you wanted to meet me and talk. So, that's why I assumed that" I say awkwardly. "I mean how? If I wanted to cancel the deal, I would've simply written an email, right? Didn't it occur to you even once that it might be something more than that?" asks Zayan.