Chapter 17

Since last night I've been trying to avoid all negative thoughts about Aisha's 'like' on Sameer's picture but somehow, I can't seem to get it out of my head.

Right now, I'm at office and I'm still thinking of it. I know I shouldn't be taking it so seriously because even I have random guys liking my posts but then that's the difference, isn't it?

The guys on my profile are random and none of them are my exes. When a person you've been in love with for 5 years interacts with you, it will feel special, isn't it?

So yeah, these have been my thoughts for the past few hours. What if Aisha is back? What if she has finally spoken to her parents about wanting only Sameer and they've agreed too? What if the feelings Sameer has for Aisha are stronger than what he has for me?

I know I'm obviously overthinking and that I can speak to him directly about it but I'm also afraid it might create unnecessary problems between us.

It's not like he will get angry. He will understand me. He knows about my insecurities. But maybe it is best that I don't speak about it.

Besides, I also have a lot of other important things to worry about like how I have only two and a half months to submit my assignment. I'm always a last-moment person when it comes to assignments but this time it's worse than the other times because I haven't even started yet!

I keep working when I realize the infant is indirectly begging for some attention. He is not exactly saying what it is. But it is evident that he is onto something new and desperately wants someone to notice it.

He has this fake-serious look as if he's about to make a significant business decision, but it only looks funny to me. Whenever he does this, I ignore him but not today. After all I need some distraction too.

So, I ask, "What's going on? You look pretty tensed." And that's it. He has finally got what he wanted. He turns and I know he is about to answer my question like a-child-that-loves-talking-more-than-anything.

"James asked me to choose a spot for our annual staff outing. Trust me it's a lot of work. I have to do my research first and then write a convincing email to the management too, explaining why I chose what" he says. Okay typical.

First of all, ideally this is HR's duties but in our office, those guys don't like to write emails because of their poor English skills, so James volunteers to do it for them and he has this habit of always assigning unimportant work to a junior scapegoat – which used to be me before Saad joined.

Second, only this infant could make such a huge fuss out of something so small. I mean, it's just an outing spot. Nothing big. Give the management a few choices that you like and they will always only approve the cheapest option!

And third, the outing isn't happening anytime soon either but in this office we are so used to planning for months and creating a big hype about almost nothing.

"Aiyo! Why research for this Saad? Just suggest a hotel for lunch buffet. That's what the boomers like" I say with a chuckle. The infant gives me one of those funny-serious looks of his and says, "No, this time they want it to be different, James told me. More like a trip than just dining out."

Oh poor boy! That's what they say all the time. But he is so gullible that he believes it to be true.

Should I tell him the truth and burst his bubble? Nah, he seems to enjoy doing this. Let me not spoil it for him. "So what are your options?" I ask.

"I have a few spots in mind: Kithulgala for white water rafting, Yala for safari camping, Galle or Trinco for beaches, somewhere like Ella for a good view and hike or a bungalow in Nuwara-Eliya if they want just a change of place and climate. What do you say?" asks Saad with gleaming eyes.